Hellawell Road, The Avenue and Borella Road intersection upgrades - Sunnybank Hills
Brisbane City Council has installed traffic signals along Hellawell Road at the intersections with The Avenue and Borella Road, Sunnybank Hills to improve traffic efficiency and safety for all road users. Construction commenced in December 2017 and was completed in September 2018.
|Address||Hellawell Road, The Avenue and Borella Road, Sunnybank Hills|
|Project outcomes||Improved traffic efficiency, access, connectivity and safety for pedestrians and all road users|
|Latest update||Construction complete|
About the project
The Hellawell Road and The Avenue and Borella Road intersection upgrades project is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment for more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The project involved installing traffic signals along Hellawell Road at the intersections with The Avenue and Borella Road and included:
- widening Hellawell Road to a four-lane approach at the intersections with dedicated U-turn and right turn lanes
- installing signalised pedestrian crossings across Hellawell Road, Borella Road and The Avenue
- installing a three metre-wide shared path on the southern side of Hellawell Road
- relocating bus stops
- installing traffic islands, line marking and landscaping.
Council would like to thank residents for their patience and cooperation while works were undertaken.
The project delivered the following benefits:
- reduced delays during morning and afternoon peak periods, improved access and safety with protected right turn and U-turn lanes, and controlled movements of road users and pedestrians increasing safety for all road users
- a safer crossing facility for cyclists and pedestrians and upgraded shared pathways to enhance connectivity to community facilities such as bus stops and cycle routes
- improved travel times and reliability through the area for commuters and public transport passengers
- future-proofing of the intersections to ensure they can cater to future traffic demands as the road network evolves.
Construction commenced in December 2017 and was completed in September 2018.
If you would like to ask questions, or find out more about the Hellawell Road, The Avenue and Borella Road intersection upgrades you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 010 705 during business hours
- phone Council's 24-hour Contact Centre on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team
- write to:
Hellawell Road, The Avenue and Borella Road intersection upgrades project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001