Shaw Road sports precinct access road intersection upgrade project - Wavell Heights
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise that works to signalise the intersection at the Shaw Road sports precinct access road in Wavell Heights are now complete.
The upgrade improves access and safety for all road users.
|Address||Shaw Road, Wavell Heights|
|Ward||Northgate and Hamilton|
|Project outcomes||Improve access and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.|
|Latest update||Construction completed June 2018.|
View the project plan in your preferred format:
About the project
Brisbane City Council upgraded the Shaw Road sports precinct access road intersection in Wavell Heights to improve access and safety for all road users.
Shaw Road caters to a high volume of vehicle, cyclist and pedestrian traffic, provides an important connection to the sports precinct and intersects the Kedron Brook Bikeway, one of Brisbane's busiest bike and pedestrian pathways.
Prior to the upgrade, during peak traffic periods, safe crossing opportunities on Shaw Road were limited for pedestrians and cyclists and turning in and out of the sports precinct access road was difficult due to the volume of through traffic on Shaw Road.
The project involved:
- signalising the intersection of Shaw Road and the sports precinct access road
- providing dedicated pedestrian and cycle crossing facilities at the new traffic signals
- providing two new sealed off-road car parks with a total capacity for up to 70 vehicles
- widening the west side of Shaw Road at the intersection to provide an additional through lane on Shaw Road in both directions, during peak periods
- providing 4.2 metre-wide kerbside lanes for shared vehicle and cycle use
- relocating the southbound bus zone to the south of the sports precinct entrance
- relocating the northbound bus zone to the north of the sports precinct entrance
- providing separated right and left turn lanes exiting the sports precinct
- upgrading shared pathway connections on both sides of Shaw Road
To allow for the upgrade, some on-street parking on Shaw Road has been removed and parking restrictions will apply during peak traffic hours on weekdays from 7-9am and 4-7pm. Signs have been installed to advise of these restrictions.
In response to community feedback, Council has provided additional off-road car parking, in two new sealed car parks, to support the parking demand in the local area and cater for park users.
Council is committing $1.3 billion on 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion in Brisbane, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
Construction started in early November 2017 and was completed in June 2018.
Council would like to thank both residents and the precinct visitors for their patience and cooperation while these works were undertaken.
The installation of traffic signals at the intersection provides a safe crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists, and will allow motorists to safely enter and exit the sporting precinct.
If you would like to find out more about the Shaw Road sports precinct access road intersection upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Shaw Road sports precinct access road intersection upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001