Elwyn Street bridge replacement - Northgate
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce the works to replace the pedestrian bridge across the Kedron Brook tributary in the Northgate Reserve near Elwyn Street, Northgate, will start on 29 January 2019, weather permitting.
The existing structure is nearing the end of its serviceable life span and in order to maintain a safe crossing, the bridge will be replaced with a new shared pedestrian and cyclist creek crossing.
|Address||Elwyn Street, Northgate|
|Project outcomes||Improve creek crossing infrastructure in Northgate Reserve|
|Latest update||Start of construction|
About the project
Works to upgrade the Elwyn Street pedestrian bridge will include:
- diversions of all pedestrian traffic for the duration of the works from 29 January 2019 to mid-2019
- demolition of the existing timber bridge
- installation of driven concrete piles for up to two weeks February 2019 to March 2019
- abutment protection (grouted rock under the bridge that prevents erosion)
- installation of pre-cast concrete girders and concrete bridge deck to establish a three metre-wide concrete bridge with bicycle-friendly handrails
- removal of nine trees
- landscaping works, lighting, and connection to the existing paths.
The existing bridge will need to be closed during construction works to ensure the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and project workers. Detour signage will direct users to alternative accesses at all times when the bridge is inaccessible.
Council has identified nine trees that will need to be removed as part of the project. These trees will be removed in consultation with a Council arborist and Natural Assets and Local Law (NALL) permit where required. Council is committed to minimising environmental impacts and will undertake offset planting for native trees removed. Offset planting and landscaping will be carried out in the project location once the construction is complete.
- Elwyn Street bridge replacement project plan (Word - 2.5Mb)
- Elwyn Street bridge replacement detour map (Word - 1Mb)
The existing bridge is nearing the end of its serviceable lifespan. By replacing this with a new bridge with a new shared pedestrian and cyclist creek crossing will ensure the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.
Works will start on 29 January 2019 and are expected to be completed by mid-2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
For more information about the Elwyn Street bridge replacement project, you can:
- phone the project team on 07 3178 0093 (during business hours) or Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Elwyn Street bridge replacement project
Field Services - Story Bridge depot
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.