Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade: stage 1 (Goodwill Bridge to Veloway 1) - South Brisbane
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise the detailed design for stage 1A of the Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade project has been completed. Construction will begin in June 2018 and be completed by late 2018. This stage extends along Lower River Terrace from the Veloway 1 (V1) connection at the Pacific Motorway underpass to the intersection of Dock Street and Little Dock Street.
The Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade – stage 1 project is being constructed in stages for delivery purposes. Details on the construction of stage 1B, which will extend along Little Dock Street from the intersection with Dock Street to the Goodwill Bridge, and stage 1C, which will upgrade the Dock Street and Vulture Street intersection to connect the Woolloongabba and Kangaroo Point Bikeways will be released to the community in the coming months.
|Address||Dock Street, Little Dock Street, Lower River Terrace, Sidon Street, Stanley Street at South Brisbane|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians|
Detailed design released for stage 1A
About the project
The Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade project is part of Council’s Better Bikeways for Brisbane program, reducing traffic congestion through dedicated bikeways and active travel options with a $100 million investment.
This investment is not aimed only at providing safer access for those who currently cycle, but also to significantly boost the number of people cycling.
The project will provide a safer environment for cyclists and pedestrians and plays an important role in Brisbane's bicycle network connecting Brisbane's Central Business District (CBD) with the southern, south-eastern and eastern suburbs.
This project will benefit not only cyclists, but also pedestrians and motorists by reducing conflicts between these different modes of travel.
The detailed design for stage 1A includes the following improvements and features:
- a new four metre-e from the V1 to the intersection of Little Dock Street and Dock Street
- new landscaping and tree planting along sections of the bikeway
- improved bicycle crossing at the intersection of Lower River Terrace and the V1.
The Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade stage 1A will result in changes to on-street parking and loading zones as well as some tree removal along Dock Street and Lower River Terrace to achieve these dedicated cycling facilities. The project team considered several different options to minimise parking loss and vegetation impacts as much as possible. The option presented to the community is the best option to improve safety for all users of the park and Lower River Terrace, which has the least impact on the area for local residents, visitors and the general public. Following community feedback regarding vehicle speed along Lower River Terrace, the design now incorporates additional traffic calming devices to reduce speed and improve safety along the road.
Stages 1B and 1C
As previously advised, the Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade – stage 1 project is being constructed in stages for delivery purposes. Details on the construction of stage 1B, which will extend along Little Dock Street from the intersection with Dock Street to the Goodwill Bridge, and stage 1C, which will upgrade the Dock Street and Vulture Street intersection to connect the Woolloongabba and Kangaroo Point Bikeways will be released to the community in the coming months.
Download the current preliminary designs in your preferred format:
- Stages 1B and 1C, Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade preliminary design project plan - part 1 March 2018 (PDF – 2.52Mb)
- Stages 1B and 1C, Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade preliminary design project plan - part 1 March 2018 (Word – 5.64Mb)
Council received feedback from the community during consultation on the preliminary design for stage 1A in late 2017 and early 2018. Overall, the majority of feedback was supportive of the project and the community benefits were welcomed. Download the newsletter for a summary of the key themes raised during consultation and Council’s response to this feedback.
- Stage 1A Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade detailed design newsletter May 2018 (PDF - 1.3Mb)
- Stage 1A Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade detailed design newsletter May 2018 (Word - 1.8Mb)
Construction and next steps
Construction works for stage 1A, which will commence in June 2018, will generally be undertaken between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday. Further information will be provided to the community before construction begins.
- May 2018: Detailed design for stage 1A released to the community
- June 2018: Construction to commence on stage 1A
- July 2018: Detailed design for stages 1B and 1C released to the community
- Late 2018: Construction of stage 1A complete
- Late 2018/early 2019: Construction of stages 1B and 1C to commence.
If you would like to provide feedback, ask questions, or find out more about stage one of the Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 600 163 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 after hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade - stage 1
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001