Current bikeway and pathway projects
Through the Better Bikeways 4 Brisbane program, Council is investing $100 million over the next four years from July 2016 to extend Brisbane’s network of bikeways, improving access to local destinations and the CBD. Cycle paths and bikeways enhance Brisbane's environment, keep our community active and healthy, and minimise traffic congestion. Use this page to find out about current bikeway and pathway projects.
Council’s investment of $220 million since 2008 has already resulted in improved cycling networks across our city. You can find out about completed bikeway and pathway projects completed in the 2018-19 financial year and in late 2017-18.
Before cycling in Brisbane, find out about temporary bikeway closures and detours that may affect your bike ride.
- Boardwalk Rehabilitation projects - four riverwalk locations to be rehabilitated
Enhance the life of the structures and ensure that they remain safe and serviceable
- Bicycle deflection rail removal strategy - popular bikeways and shared paths
To remove bicycle deflection rails ('banana bars') from bikeways and shared paths
- Real-time bikeway counters - selected popular bikeways and shared paths
Display a live count of path users to track usage of the bikeway network
- Brisbane City - Botanic Gardens Riverwalk project - Alice Street/Edward Street
Improve accessibility to the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) and local destinations for all cyclists and pedestrians.
- South Brisbane - Kangaroo Point Bikeway upgrade: stage one
Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Aspley - North Brisbane Bikeway: Webster Road to Robinson Road West project
Creating a high quality, safe and connected recreation and commuter route and improving access to the local network and amenities.
- Kedron Brook - North Brisbane Bikeway - Price Street to Kedron Brook
Improved safety and connectivity for cyclists.
- Northgate - Elwyn Street Northgate bridge replacement
Enhanced usability for pedestrians and cyclists with a widened crossing, provide a modern safe facility and reduce ongoing maintenance costs.
- Auchenflower - Land Street underpass duplication
This project will improve safety and connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Indooroopilly - Indooroopilly Bikeway (Radnor Street) investigation works
The investigation works seek to improve safety and connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Jindalee - Kangaloon Street bridge upgrade
Inform design options for a potential future upgrade to the bridge to maintain pedestrian safety and improve accessibility.
- Wilston - Noble Street Bridge removal
Removal of the Noble Street bridge.
- Carindale - Meadowbank Street Park footbridge replacement
Enhanced usability for pedestrians and cyclists with a widened crossing, providing a modern safe facility and reduced ongoing maintenance costs.
- Wakerley - Kenrick Close bridge replacement
Enhancing usability for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Woolloongabba - Woolloongabba Bikeway project
This project aims to create a safer environment for all road users through delivery of dedicated cycle facilities.
- Woolloongabba - Kingfisher Creek crossing upgrade
This project aims to improve creek crossing infrastructure.
- Wynnum - Moreton Bay Cycleway - Elanora Park, Wynnum to Export Street
To improve accessibility and connectivity on the Moreton Bay Cycleway.
With an extensive network of bikeways and shared pathways and great bike-related events and facilities, Brisbane has some of the best cycle facilities in the country. Sign up for free to Cycling Brisbane to receive exclusive deals and discounts, project updates and much more. Cycling Brisbane also includes a heap of bike rides to try including casual, family and training rides.