Green Camp Road corridor upgrade
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Green Camp Road corridor at Wakerley to improve safety for all road users, improve traffic efficiency and reduce congestion.
|Address||Green Camp Road, Wakerley|
|Ward||Doboy and Chandler|
|Project outcomes||Improve safety and traffic efficiency and reduce congestion|
Construction in progress
About the project
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that construction on the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade at Wakerley is progressing well. Work began in mid-May 2018 and is expected to be complete mid-2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
This upgrade is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
Council is upgrading Green Camp Road between Manly Road and Rickertt Road, with joint funding from Council and the Australian Government through the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development. The project will improve safety for all road users, reduce traffic congestion, and improve travel time reliability along the corridor.
The $27.7 million upgrade will improve safety by upgrading and signalising the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection and by improving the layout and alignment of the Green Camp Road and Rickertt Road intersection. The project will also reduce travel times along Green Camp Road for general traffic and buses by widening the existing road from two to four lanes.
Features of the upgrade include:
- providing a minimum of two through lanes in each direction on Green Camp Road from Manly Road to approximately 180 metres past the Rickertt Road intersection
- providing three through lanes on the Green Camp Road northbound carriageway adjacent to the Tilley Road intersection
- signalising the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection including widening the Tilley Road approach to provide one left-turn lane and one right-turn lane
- providing two through lanes on Rickertt Road in each direction for 200 metres from the Green Camp Road intersection
- widening the Rickertt Road approach to provide a separate left-turn lane and two right-turn lanes
- raising the road level and upgrading the existing culverts under the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection to improve drainage and flood immunity to a one per cent annual exceedance probability (1 in 100 year probability of a flood occurrence)
- providing on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared paths
- providing fauna crossing facilities, fauna fencing and wildlife awareness zones
- providing improved pedestrian footpath connections
- a new car park 250 metres north of the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection for visitors to Green Camp Road Park
- landscaping treatments.
Once complete, the project will:
- improve travel times and reliability for motorists and public transport services
- enhance the ability for Green Camp Road to fulfil its role as an arterial road in the east Brisbane network
- improve safety by signalising the Green Camp Road and Tilley Road intersection and improving the layout of the Green Camp Road and Rickett Road intersection
- provide fauna crossing facilities, including arboreal crossings and glider poles, fauna fences and wildlife awareness zones
- provide on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared paths along Green Camp Road
- improve flood immunity.
Temporary closure of Tilley Road
A temporary full-time closure to the 200 metre section of Tilley Road leading into the Green Camp Road intersection will be in place from 23 September 2018 for approximately three months, weather and construction conditions permitting.
This closure will allow Council to complete the culvert installation works and Tilley Road widening faster, reducing construction costs, delays to road users, and impacts to the local community.
Council will re-open this section of Tilley Road under reduced speed limit conditions once these works are complete and it is safe to do so. Both Green Camp Road and Rickertt Road will remain open at all times although temporary lane closures may be required from time to time.
A signed detour is in place and residents and road users are advised to plan alternative routes. A map detailing the detour can be viewed in the summary table on this page.
Green Camp Road and Rickertt Road will remain open throughout construction, however temporary lane closures will be required, with traffic control in place to direct motorists through the worksite. The speed limit through the construction site will be reduced to 40km/h for the duration of the works.
Construction will generally take place from Monday to Friday between 7am and 5pm, and between 8am and 1pm on Saturday. To ensure the safety of motorists and road workers, and to minimise traffic disruptions, some work is required to be undertaken at night or on weekends when traffic volumes are lowest.
Night works are generally undertaken Monday to Friday, between 7pm and 5am. Night works are only scheduled when necessary and are required to allow completion of certain construction activities when traffic volumes are lowest to maximise safety for motorists and road workers and minimise traffic disruptions.
During night works, residents in close proximity to the worksite may experience some temporary impacts including:
- construction noise, such as saw cutting of asphalt and concrete and excavation works
- construction vehicle movements with reversing beepers and flashing lights
- increased lighting from portable light towers
- changed traffic conditions and some traffic delays.
Noisy works such as saw cutting will take place intermittently and every effort will be made to complete these works before 11pm, where possible.
Temporary pedestrian traffic signals have been installed on Green Camp Road, outside the project site office, to allow workers to safely cross the road and access the work site. These traffic signals will only be triggered when a button is pushed for workers to cross the road and will not be in operation outside of work hours.
Temporary bus stop relocation
From Friday 20 July to Wednesday 31 October the bus stop at Green Camp Road and Habitat Drive Wakerley will be closed. A temporary bus stop will be located approximately 110 metres south along Green Camp Road. This temporary change will affect passengers who use route 243. A map and sign are located at the bus stop.
Green Camp Road corridor upgrade fly-through
The fly-through video shows the detailed design features for the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade in Wakerley. Watch the fly-through video to find out about the project.
Alternatively, you can watch the video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - key findings from the business case - March 2018 (PDF - 1.11Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - key findings from the business case - March 2018 (Word - 2.21Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Business case - full document (PDF - 1.4Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Appendix A (PDF - 16.2Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Appendix B (PDF - 8.8Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - project plan (PDF - 1.84Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.63Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Tilley Road closure detour map (PDF - 18.8Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - Tilley Road closure detour map (Word - 812Kb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - newsletter - August 2018 (PDF - 2.25Mb)
- Green Camp Road corridor upgrade - newsletter - August 2018 (Word - 266.92Kb).
If you would like more information about the Green Camp Road corridor upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 290 832 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Green Camp Road corridor upgrade project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.