Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade - Hamilton
Kingsford Smith Drive is a major road linking Brisbane CBD to the Brisbane Airport, Port of Brisbane, Northshore Hamilton and the Australia TradeCoast area.
Construction is well underway on Brisbane City Council's Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade, with both road and marine works now started to reduce traffic congestion, improve safety and create a new entry statement to Brisbane. Find out more about the latest construction news.
A Visitor Centre is now open for the project. Find out more about the Visitor Centre and its opening hours.
Kingsford Smith Drive fly-through video
About the project
The Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade will involve widening the road from four to six lanes between Theodore Street at Eagle Farm and Cooksley Street at Hamilton. It will also include improvement works between Cooksley Street and Breakfast Creek Road at Albion.
In addition to providing increased road capacity to accommodate future traffic volumes, the upgrade will also deliver significantly improved pedestrian and cycle facilities, providing active transport options for both existing residents and the developing Northshore precinct.
The project also delivers upgraded public transport with indented bus stops that cater for future increases in bus services along the corridor and reduce delays.
This critical upgrade will create an entry statement to Brisbane, transforming one of the city’s most significant routes into a vibrant urban corridor with the Brisbane River as the centrepiece.
The upgrade will boost business and economic development, expanding one of Brisbane’s most important traffic corridors to help future-proof our New World City.
Design and construction
Design and construction of the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade is being undertaken by Lendlease, who are the first point of contact for all design and construction related enquiries.
Works on the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade are now underway. Visit Lendlease's Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade website for more information or to register for project updates.
Lendlease's design includes:
- a tree-lined boulevard creating a subtropical entry into Brisbane
- a new RiverWalk and segregated cycle path with dedicated rest areas that maximise public access to the river
- significant new riverside destinations at Bretts Wharf and Cameron Rocks Reserve, easily accessible via public transport
- continuous footpaths on both sides of the road with improved footpath widths
- dedicated on-road cycle lanes between Theodore Street and Harbour Road.
Kingsford Smith Drive benefits
Benefits of the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade include:
- up to 30% travel time savings for all vehicles, including cars, buses and trucks
- $70 million in new cycle and pedestrian facilities
- 7 kilometres of new and improved pedestrian and cycle paths
- more than 3000 direct and indirect jobs over the life of the project
- improved public transport provision, enabling future increases in bus services to cater to growth in the local area
- improved safety for all road users
- improved urban amenity and green spaces, including a new park at Bretts Wharf.
You can download the:
- Kingsford Smith Drive community newsletter - November 2015 (PDF - 1.84Mb)
- Kingsford Smith Drive community newsletter - November 2015 (Word - 258kb)
The project's main Visitor Centre is located at 605 Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton, within the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade site office.
The Visitor Centre provides project information, three dimensional project models and fly-throughs, as well as direct access to team members who can answer questions about the design and construction of the upgrade. The Visitor Centre is open between 7.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and any other time by appointment.
A pop-up Visitor Centre is also currently located at Bretts Wharf, Hamilton, where a member of the project team will be available to provide information and answer questions about the project during the following times:
- Monday 7.30-11am
- Wednesday 3-6pm
- Friday 11am-2pm
For more information about the design and construction of the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade:
- phone Lendlease's Community Engagement team on 1800 084 383
- visit the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade website
For general information about the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade:
- phone Council's project team on 07 3403 8888
- email Council's project team