Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade - Hamilton
Kingsford Smith Drive is a major Brisbane road. It links the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) to the Airport, Port of Brisbane, Northshore Hamilton and Australia TradeCoast area.
Construction is well underway on Brisbane City Council's Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade. Both road and marine works have started.
In December 2018, the project celebrated a major milestone with the opening of the new Kingsford Smith Drive River Walk. The 1.2 kilometre River Walk is a key feature of the upgrade, providing separated pedestrian and cycle paths, with dedicated rest areas that maximise public access to the river. Find out more about the Kingsford Smith Drive River Walk.
The Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade will reduce traffic congestion, improve safety and create an entry statement to Brisbane. Find out more about the latest construction news.
A visitor centre is open for the project. Find out more about the visitor centre and its opening hours.
Kingsford Smith Drive fly-through video
About the project
The Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade involves road widening from four to six lanes. This is between Theodore Street, Eagle Farm and Cooksley Street, Hamilton. It will also include improvement works between Cooksley Street and Breakfast Creek Road, Albion.
The upgrade will:
- deliver significantly improved pedestrian and cycle facilities
- provide active transport options for existing residents and the Northshore precinct
- improve public transport with indented bus stops
- cater for future increases in bus services along the corridor and reduce delays
- create an entry statement to Brisbane
- boost business and economic development
- expand one of Brisbane’s most important traffic corridors.
Design and construction
Lendlease are designing and constructing the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade. They are the first point of contact for all design and construction related enquiries.
Works on the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade are underway. Visit Lendlease's Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade website for more information, or to register for project updates.
Lendlease's design includes:
- a tree-lined boulevard creating a subtropical entry into Brisbane
- a new River Walk and segregated cycle path with dedicated rest areas that maximise public access to the river
- a new urban plaza and parkland at Bretts Wharf, capitalising on river city views and easily accessible via public transport
- a rejuvenated Cameron Rocks Reserve, including a new lawn focussed on the heritage-listed war memorial (relocated and refurbished as part of the upgrade)
- continuous footpaths on both sides of the road with improved footpath widths
- dedicated on-road cycle lanes between Theodore Street and Harbour Road.
Kingsford Smith Drive benefits
Benefits of the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade include:
- up to 30% travel time savings for all vehicles, including cars, buses and trucks
- $70 million in new cycle and pedestrian facilities
- seven kilometres of new and improved pedestrian and cycle paths
- more than 3000 direct and indirect jobs over the life of the project
- improved public transport provision, enabling future increases in bus services to cater to growth in the local area
- improved safety for all road users
- improved urban amenity and green spaces, including a new park at Bretts Wharf.
You can download the:
- Kingsford Smith Drive community newsletter - November 2015 (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Kingsford Smith Drive community newsletter - November 2015 (Word - 258kb)
- Kingsford Smith Drive senior geography schools package (PDF - 182kb)
- Kingsford Smith Drive senior geography schools package (Word - 119kb).
The project's visitor centre is at 605 Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton, within the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade site office.
The visitor centre provides project information, three-dimensional project models and fly-throughs It provides direct access to team members to answer questions about the design and construction of the upgrade. The centre is open between 7.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and any other time by appointment.
For more information about the design and construction of the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade:
- phone Lendlease's Community Engagement team on 1800 084 383
- visit the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade website.
For general information about the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade, contact Council's project team:
- by phone on 07 3403 8888; or