Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Geebung
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection at Geebung. The upgrade will improve traffic efficiency, reduce congestion and increase safety for all road users.
Watch the fly-through video to learn about this stage of the project. Read supporting information for this fly-through video.
|Address||Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung|
|Project outcomes||Reduced congestion, improved safety and traffic efficiency|
Start of construction - December 2018
About the project
The project will install a signalised intersection to replace the existing roundabout at Murphy and Ellison Roads, Geebung. The project will include some associated widening adjacent to the intersection. These works will:
- improve traffic
- reduce congestion
- increase safety for road users
- help cater for existing and future traffic demands along this busy corridor.
Council is committing $1.3 billion on more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion in Brisbane. The focus is on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The existing roundabout at Murphy and Ellison Roads is currently operating at capacity in the morning peak and over capacity in the evening peak. There are long delays and queues on the southern and northern approaches. Congestion through the intersection will increase without intervention.
The project includes replacing the existing roundabout at Murphy and Ellison Road with a signalised intersection. Council will widen Murphy Road from two to four lanes from the Gympie Road intersection to north of the Butt Street intersection. Upgrades to the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection will cater for future traffic flows and improve the road alignment. The Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection will be signalised. This will improve safety for pedestrians and vehicles accessing Butt Street.
The upgrade also involves:
- provision of a three lane southbound approach on Murphy Road
- widening Ellison Road to four lanes between Danette and Gambia Streets
- upgrading the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection to include:
- additional through lanes in each direction
- a right-turn pocket into Kittyhawk Drive, and
- a U-turn facility for southbound traffic
- signalising the Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection to include:
- a pedestrian crossing
- a right-turn pocket into Butt Street, and
- a new mini roundabout at the intersection of Butt Street and Fernlea Street
- providing additional off-road car parking adjacent to Marchant Park and 7th Brigade Park
- incorporating on-road cycle lanes in both directions on Murphy and Ellison Roads
- converting Marathon Street and Blackwood Road to left-in, left-out access only to improve safety
- constructing a new access road to Navarre Street
- providing indented bus stops adjacent to the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- landscaping and line marking
- removing some trees.
Planting will be offset in accordance with Council's offset planting guidelines.
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - business case (PDF - 33Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix A (PDF - 37Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix B (PDF - 10Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix C (PDF - 132Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (PDF - 429kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (Word - 219kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (PDF - 1.1Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.5Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (PDF - 615kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 372kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (Word - 548kb).
The majority of construction works is undertaken between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday. Certain critical components will need to be undertaken between 7pm and 5am, Sunday to Thursday. This is when traffic volumes are lowest. If temporary lane closures are required traffic controllers will be on-site.
The speed limit is reduced to 40km/h for the duration. Variable message signs provide commuters with information about detours or potential delays.
Once complete, community benefits include:
- enhanced safety for all road users by signalising the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- improved travel time reliability
- reduced queue lengths along Murphy Road
- signalised pedestrian crossing along Murphy Road
- on-street cycle lanes on both sides of Murphy and Ellison Roads
- off-street parking to offset the loss of informal parking along the Murphy Road verge
- indented bus bays to maintain traffic flows adjacent to the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection
- improved connectivity and safety for pedestrian accessibility to public and active transport options and local parklands areas.
Construction started in mid-December 2018 and will finish early 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Council will provide regular updates as the project progresses.
For more information about the Murphy and Ellison Roads intersection upgrade, you can:
- complete the online contact form
- phone the project team on 1800 870 437 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.