Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Geebung
Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection at Geebung to improve traffic efficiency, reduce congestion and increase safety for all road users.
Watch the fly-through video to learn about this stage of the project. Read supporting information for this fly-through video.
|Address||Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung|
|Project outcomes||Reduced congestion, improved safety and traffic efficiency|
Detailed design complete.
About the project
Council is planning to install a signalised intersection to replace the existing roundabout at Murphy Road and Ellison Road, Geebung including some associated widening adjacent to the intersection. These works will improve traffic , reduce congestion, increase safety for road users and will help cater for existing and future traffic demands along this busy corridor.
Council is committing $1.3 billion on more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion in Brisbane, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
The existing roundabout at Murphy Road and Ellison Road is currently operating at capacity in the morning peak and over capacity in the evening peak, with long delays and queues on the southern and northern approaches. Congestion through the intersection is expected to increase without intervention.
The project includes upgrading Murphy Road from two to four lanes from the Gympie Road intersection to the Butt Street intersection. The Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection will be upgraded to cater for future traffic flows and improve the road alignment. The Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection will be signalised to improve safety for pedestrians and vehicles accessing Butt Street.
The upgrade will involve:
- replacing the existing roundabout controlled intersection of Ellison Road and Murphy Road with a signalised intersection
- upgrading Murphy Road from two to four lanes between the Gympie Road intersection and the Butt Street intersection, with a three lane southbound approach on Murphy Road
- widening Ellison Road to four lanes between Danette Street and Gambia Street
- upgrading the Kittyhawk Drive and Murphy Road intersection to include additional through lanes in each direction a right-turn pocket into Kittyhawk Drive and a U-turn facility for southbound traffic
- signalising the Butt Street and Murphy Road intersection to include a pedestrian crossing, a right-turn pocket into Butt Street, and a new mini roundabout at the intersection of Butt Street and Fernlea Street to enhance traffic movements for residents
- providing additional off-road car parking adjacent to Marchant Park and 7th Brigade Park
- incorporating on-road cycle lanes in both directions on Murphy Road and Ellison Road
- converting Marathon Street and Blackwood Road to left-in, left-out access only to improve safety
- constructing a new access road to Navarre Street
- providing indented bus stops adjacent to the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection
- landscaping and line marking.
To enable the road widening and to ensure adequate sight lines are provided for motorists, some trees will be removed at the intersection and will be offset in accordance with Council's offset planting guidelines.
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - business case (PDF - 33Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix A (PDF - 37Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix B (PDF - 10Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - Appendix C (PDF - 132Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (PDF - 429kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - key findings report (Word - 219kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (PDF - 1.1Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - project plan (Word - 1.5Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (PDF - 615kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - artist impression (Word - 1.3Mb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (PDF - 372kb)
- Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade - newsletter (Word - 548kb).
Works are underway to remove houses acquired by Council as part of the upgrade. The early removal of these houses will mitigate the risk of squatters and vandalism. Stage 3 works are scheduled to start in early October and will take four weeks to complete, weather conditions permitting. There will also be some initial site preparation works from late September, which need to be completed before the removal of the buildings can commence. Buildings will be removed on four properties at 2 Navarre Street and 291-299 Murphy Road.
Council will appoint a specialist demolition contactor who will manage the removal of these buildings to ensure workplace health and safety requirements are met and there is no risk to the community. These buildings may contain asbestos which will be removed in accordance with the Queensland Government’s Work Health and Safety Act 2011. Appropriate dust and noise mitigation will be in place to ensure minimal impacts to surrounding properties as much as possible.
These works will take place from Monday to Saturday, 7am to 5pm. Temporary lane closures may be required and traffic controllers will be on-site to assist motorists. Local access will not be affected by the works however, short delays may be experienced.
Detailed design for this project is now complete.
Construction is scheduled to start in late 2018 and is anticipated to take 14 months to complete, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Council is committed to keeping local residents and businesses and the broader community informed about the intersection upgrade and will provide regular updates as the project progresses.
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions, or find out more about the Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade, you can:
- complete the online contact form
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Murphy Road and Ellison Road intersection upgrade
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.