Shaw Road landfill remediation and lighting replacement project - Wavell Heights
Brisbane City Council is undertaking closed landfill remediation works and a lighting replacement at the Shaw Road rugby field at Wavell Heights. These works started in September 2018 and are anticipated to be completed in mid-2019, weather permitting.
|Address||Shaw Road rugby fields, Wavell Heights|
|Project outcomes||Upgrade the sport and recreation facilities in the park to provide safer and improved facilities for the sporting and local community|
Construction started in September 2018 and is anticipated to be completed in mid-2019, weather permitting.
About the project
The Shaw Road rugby field closed landfill remediation works and lighting replacement are part of Council’s ongoing Landfill Remediation and Maintenance Program under the Restoration for Recreation program and forms the next step in Council’s progressive landfill management measures for the site.
Works will involve:
- compacting and capping the existing closed landfill
- re-grading the rugby field
- installing irrigation, drainage, topsoil and sports field grade turf and collapsible goal posts
- upgrading the existing lighting infrastructure to LED lights in compliance with basic sports field playing standards
- constructing a ramp to the car park that is in line with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA)
- reinstating the existing public address system (PA system).
The lighting of the field will be replaced to meet the basic standard required for night practice, with capacity for further improvements in the future.
Following the major remediation works, there will be a 12 week maintenance period to allow for the landscaping to establish. The project is expected to be completed in mid-2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
The works aim to upgrade the sport and recreation facilities in the park to provide safer and improved facilities for the sporting and local community.
Impacts during constuction
These works follow on from the intersection upgrade project and will feed into the Shaw Road precinct master plan being developed by Brisbane Lifestyle.
- In order to complete the remediation works, Council has identified a number of trees and shrubs that will need to be removed or trimmed as part of the project. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council will make every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
- Throughout construction, the local community may expect some low levels of construction noise, dust, and vibration. Dust mitigation and erosion control measures will be implemented during the works. Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
- Where necessary, traffic controllers will be on-site to assist cyclists and pedestrians around the worksite. Please look for warning signage and follow the direction of traffic controllers. Vehicle access to the site will be from Shaw Road and through the area adjacent to the field. The existing car park will not be impacted by works.
- Construction will take place between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday. Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in their area and will provide advance notification of out-of-hours activities.
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions or find out more about the Shaw Road rugby field closed landfill remediation and lighting replacement project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the projects team
- write to:
Shaw Road rugby field closed landfill remediation and lighting replacement project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.