Telegraph Road corridor upgrade project: Stage 2 - Bracken Ridge, Fitzgibbon, Deagon and Taigum
Stage 2 of the Telegraph Road corridor upgrade in Bracken Ridge, Fitzgibbon, Deagon and Taigum is now complete. Stage 2 is the final project completing the corridor upgrade. It links into the Gateway Motorway as well as upgrading Lemke Road south to Tallowwood Place.
The corridor had been operating at capacity. With this upgrade, current traffic modelling estimates by 2031, residents will: save:
- eight minutes eastbound on Telegraph Road during the morning peak, and
- 12 minutes westbound during the afternoon peak.
Telegraph Road corridor upgrade fly-through video
You can also watch this video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
|Address||Telegraph Road in Bracken Ridge/Fitzgibbon, Depot Road in Deagon and Lemke Road in Taigum|
|Ward||Bracken Ridge and Deagon|
|Project outcomes||Cater for existing and future traffic demands and improve travel times, safety and road flood immunity|
Download the project plan:
Download the latest newsletter:
About the project
The Telegraph Road corridor upgrade project Stage 2 supports growth in the northern suburbs by improving access to major transport corridor. This includes the Gateway Motorway and Gympie Arterial Road/Bruce Highway.
The project connects directly:
- at its western end to Stage 1B, Norris Road to east of Mustang Street (jointly funded by the Australian Government and Council), and
- at its eastern end with the Depot Road upgrade project (delivered as part of the Gateway Upgrade North (GUN).
The GUN project is funded by the Australian Government and Queensland Government and delivered by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
The Stage 2 upgrade involved:
- constructing a four-lane median-divided carriageway along Telegraph Road from Mustang Street to the Gateway Motorway on and off ramps, and
- along Lemke Road south to Tallowwood Place, with additional through lanes and turning lanes at intersections
- installing traffic lights at the Telegraph, Depot and Lemke Roads intersection
- constructing a four lane bridge at Cabbage Tree Creek with one in 100 year flood immunity
- providing U-turn facilities for eastbound traffic at the intersection of Telegraph Road and Denham Street, and
- for westbound traffic on Depot Road at the Quinlan Street intersection
- providing two parking areas near Denham and Mustang Streets
- constructing shared pathways on the southern side of Telegraph Road, and
- Depot and Lemke Roads, linking to Cabbage Tree Creek Bikeway
- upgrading the cyclist/pedestrian underpass in Depot Road
- constructing on-road bike lanes on Telegraph and Depot Roads and a section of Lemke Road
- installing new LED street lighting on Telegraph, Depot and Lemke Roads
- undergrounding power lines between Denham Street and the Gateway Motorway on and off ramps
- permanently closing the right turn movement out of Quinlan Street onto Depot Road
- yellow, no stopping lines will be installed on both sides of Telegraph, Depot and Lemke Roads
- installing signalised pedestrian crossing on Lemke Road near the Sandgate Hawkes Sporting Club
- installing fauna movement measures
- landscaping and revegetation works
- preserving the road corridor for future widening of Telegraph Road to six lanes
Construction commenced mid-2017 and was complete on 6 December 2018. The project is subject to a 12 month maintenance period. During this time some minor rectification works will be carried out.
To find out more about this project: