Warrigal Road, Bellmead Street and Plum Street intersection upgrade project - Runcorn
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection in Runcorn. The upgrade will improve access and safety for all road users It will also ensure the intersection can cater to future traffic demands.
|Address||Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection|
|Project outcomes||Improved safety and reduced congestion|
Construction commenced 11 March 2019.
View the project plan:
View the community newsletter:
About the project
The intersection currently experiences a high level of congestion on Warrigal Road. This hinders access into and out of Bellmead and Plum Streets, particularly during the morning and afternoon peak periods.
Warrigal Road carries approximately 12,000 vehicles per day, with heavy vehicles making up approximately 4% of the traffic volume. This intersection has recorded two crashes from 2012 to 2018, both resulting in hospitalisation.
This project is jointly funded by Council and the Australian Government, as part of the Roads to Recovery (R2R) program.
Works will include:
- installing a signalised intersection at Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets, including crossings for pedestrians and cyclist facilities
- widening Warrigal Road from one lane each way to two lanes each way in the vicinity of the intersection
- widening the northern side of Plum Street, adjacent to Warrigal Road
- providing intersection crossings for pedestrians and cyclists
- installing new two metre-wide shared pedestrian and cycle paths on either side of Warrigal Road
- resurfacing sections of Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets around the intersection
- installing new line marking
As part of the works, Council has identified 12 trees for removal. This vegetation impact will be offset by the planting of 12 new trees in the project vicinity. An additional 11 trees in the local area will be planted also. Planting is in accordance with Council’s environmental policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Once complete, the community benefits will include:
- improved safety for road users by signalising the intersection
- reduced congestion
- controlled pedestrian crossing facilities.
Construction commenced on 11 March 2019 and is expected to be complete in mid-2019, weather and construction conditions permitting.
The majority of works will be between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday. Some out-of-hours work is required and undertaken at night. This will minimise traffic disruptions and ensure the safety of road users and road workers. Any night works will take place from Sunday to Thursday between 7pm and 5am. Where necessary, traffic controllers will be onsite to assist all road users through the worksite.
There will be a temporary full closure of Plum Street at the Warrigal Road end. This is to complete roadworks and underground service works for approximately eight weeks, weather and construction conditions permitting. This closure will allow Council to complete the works quicker and reduce impacts on the local community.
For more information about the Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection upgrade project, you can
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 during working hours
- phone Council on 3403 8888 (outside of working hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Warrigal Road, Bellmead and Plum Streets intersection upgrade project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.