Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - Morningside and Norman Park
The Wynnum Road corridor is an important route in Brisbane’s road network, providing access between suburban and commercial catchments in the eastern suburbs of Brisbane, the Central Business District and beyond.
Council is delivering the upgrade to the Wynnum Road corridor in stages. Stage 1b of the corridor upgrade will complement the works undertaken as part of Stage 1 by implementing interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along Wynnum Road, between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.
Stage 1 of the upgrade is from Latrobe Street to Canning Bridge and will see this section of Lytton Road widened to six lanes.
Construction works for Stage 1b will be undertaken in coordination with Stage 1.
Council will consider further upgrades between Canning Bridge and Riding Road as planning along the Wynnum Road corridor progresses, however the scope and timing of any future stages has not yet been confirmed.
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade Stage 1b fly-through video
Watch the fly-through video to learn more about this stage of the project.
|Address||Wynnum Road – Canning Bridge to Riding Road (including Balmoral Street), Morningside/Norman Park|
|Project outcome||This upgrade will provide interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.|
Construction activities commenced in early 2018, starting in the Stage 1 area, and both stages are expected to be completed by early 2020.
You can read the latest project update by downloading the most recent community newsletter for Stage 1 and 1b.
|Related projects||Read more about Stage 1 of this project for further information.|
The Wynnum Road corridor upgrade – Stage 1b involves:
- upgrading the Norman Avenue intersection, including installation of a u-turn facility for eastbound traffic to travel westbound to support access to surrounding residential areas
- removing unsafe right-turn movements across Wynnum Road at Gillan Street, Norman Crescent and Overend Street to improve safety and traffic flow
- rationalising bus stops to reduce impacts on traffic flow from buses stopping and ensure an efficient bus network
- indenting the outbound bus stop at Norman Avenue to improve traffic flow
- extending the existing bus jump lane (7-9am, Monday to Friday) from Bennetts Road to Hipwood Street to improve bus travel times and service reliability
- improving the existing u-turn facility on Wynnum Road near Kingsbury Street to make it easier and safer for vehicles to turn around.
Partial land acquisitions for Stage 1b are required from some private properties on the northern side of Wynnum Road, near the Norman Avenue intersection. Council is liaising with affected property owners in accordance with the Acquisition of Land Act 1967.
- provide interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor
- support access to surrounding residential areas
- improve bus travel times and service reliability
- ensure an efficient bus network and reduce impacts on traffic flow.
Construction works in the Stage 1b area are anticipated to commence in early 2019.
Council is committed to keeping the community informed of construction in their area and will provide advance notification of out-of-hours works and major access changes, including disruptions to property access.
Throughout construction, residents and businesses in close proximity to the works may experience construction noise, increased truck movements and low levels of vibration and dust. The project team will be working hard to minimise construction impacts on the local community and is happy to answer any questions or concerns the community may have.
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (PDF - 2.71Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (Word - 1.66Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (Word - 598Mb)
- Business case - Wynnum Road corridor upgrade, Stage 1b interim measures, Canning Bridge to Riding Road (PDF - 12.3Mb).
Further information is available on Wynnum Road corridor upgrade Stage 1 web page.
If you would like to find out more about this project:
- phone the project team on 1800 572 132 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- visit the project’s Community Information Centre at 89 Lytton Road, East Brisbane (access via Heidelberg Street), open every Tuesday from 10am-12 noon and Wednesday from 2-4pm, or other times by appointment
- write to:
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade - Stage 1b
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001