Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade - Tingalpa
The Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade project is part of Brisbane City Council's $1.3 billion commitment to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network to get residents home more quickly and safely.
|Address||Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road, Tingalpa|
|Project outcomes||Improved road safety|
View the project newsletter:
About the project
Council is upgrading the intersection of Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road at Tingalpa to improve traffic efficiency and safety and cater for existing and future traffic demands at this intersection.
The project involves:
- installing traffic signals at the intersection of Murarrie Road and Wynnum Road
- widening Murarrie Road to allow a left-turn slip lane and a dedicated right-turn lane to exit onto Wynnum Road
- extending the existing right-turn pocket on Wynnum Road into Murarrie Road
- providing a signalised pedestrian crossing across Murarrie Road and across Wynnum Road on the western side of the intersection
- improving safety of the existing cycle lanes on Wynnum Road by restricting parking at all times through the intersection
- upgrading kerb and channel, medians, intersection lighting and line marking.
Once complete, the project will improve access and safety for vehicles turning in and out of Murarrie Road. This improved access will also reduce the incentive for vehicles to divert along local neighbourhood streets and will increase safety for all road users.
Project benefits will include:
- reduced delays at Murarrie Road during the morning and afternoon peak periods
- improved access to and from Murarrie Road with signalised right turns
- controlled movements of motorists and pedestrians increasing safety for all road users
- improved access at the intersection will also minimise route diversions, meaning less through traffic using local streets.
In order to upgrade the intersection, Council has identified eight small-to-medium sized street trees will need to be removed as part of the project. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council will make every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction. Vegetation impacts will be offset by replanting 16 trees in the local area in accordance in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Some on-street parking restrictions will be applied on Murarrie Road, between Wynnum Road and Verdun Street, to safely allow the proposed changes to the lanes on Murarrie Road.
Construction will start in late August 2018 and will take approximately six months to complete, weather and construction conditions permitting.
If you would like to provide feedback, ask questions, or find out more about the Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 290 832 during business hours
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
Wynnum Road and Murarrie Road intersection upgrade project
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.