Legacy Way background and benefits
Brisbane's popularity as a place to live and work has created strong population, employment and economic growth over the past decade. With this growth comes a challenge in dealing with traffic congestion.
Traffic congestion not only impacts on our lifestyle but our economy, by causing delays to goods, increased business operating costs and environmental costs.
In future years, the Australia TradeCoast precinct near Brisbane Airport will become an economic hub for the region, experiencing substantial jobs growth, transforming it into South East Queensland's second biggest employment generator, behind the CBD.
The continued growth will put more pressure on key arterial roads. Currently, more than two thirds of motorists travelling along Milton Road and Coronation Drive towards the CBD are actually destined for a location beyond the CBD.
A motorway standard road was needed to fill the gap that existed between the Western Freeway and the Inner City Bypass (ICB). Legacy Way meets this need.
Legacy Way benefits
By providing an alternative route for motorists travelling between the Western Freeway and the ICB, Legacy Way:
- allows motorists to travel from the Western Freeway at Toowong to the ICB at Kelvin Grove in just four minutes
- almost halves peak hour travel times between the Western Freeway and the ICB
- enables motorists to avoid seven sets of traffic lights
- provides motorists with quicker travel times and travel time certainty.
- is simple and easy to use – it has one entry/exit point at the Western Freeway at Toowong and another at the ICB at Kelvin Grove.
Legacy Way also provides significant benefits for Brisbane’s road network and economy by:
- providing a critical connection between the Western Growth Corridor (Ipswich, Springfield etc) and the airport and Australia Trade Coast area
- completing the missing link of motorway standard road between the Western Freeway and the ICB
- reducing congestion on surface roads, such as Milton Road and Coronation Drive and cutting through-traffic on some local streets
- creating more than 5000 jobs in the local economy.
Download reports and factsheets about Legacy Way (formerly Northern Link), as well as the final business case.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view or print them. Some documents may also have a large file size and could take some time to download.
Environmental Impact Statement documents
The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) report, Supplementary Report, related documents and information on the submission process are available on the Northern Link technical website.
Preliminary Assessment Report
You can download the Legacy Way Preliminary Assessment report. The report is in three sections to aid downloading:
- Northern Link Preliminary Assessment report - Part A (PDF - 547kb)
- Northern Link Preliminary Assessment report - Part B (PDF - 509kb)
- Northern Link Preliminary Assessment report - Part C (PDF - 338kb)
If you have any questions about the Legacy Way project, you can
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for general information
- visit www.govianetwork.com.au/legacy-way for operational information.