Left Turn on Red project
Following a successful pilot at five intersections between November 2013 and April 2014, Brisbane City Council was approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) to extend the trial of Left Turn on Red facilities across Brisbane to 50 intersections.
The trialing of Left Turn on Red facilities at intersections across Brisbane is a practical way of decreasing individual travel times and easing congestion, contributing to our vision for an accessible, connected city and getting you home quicker and safer. All Left Turn on Red intersections were selected after being assessed for safety against Australian Standard requirements.
In late 2017, TMR approved the Left Turn on Red trial being extended by Council until 31 December 2019. TMR conditioned the trial’s extension on Council re-assessing the Left Turn on Red facilities against the New South Wales Government’s Roads and Maritime Services Traffic Signal Design Appendix – E ‘Left Turn on Red Guidelines’, issued in July 2016.
Based on this re-assessment required by TMR the following Left Turn on Red facilities are no longer in use and have been de-commissioned:
- Glenealy Street into Bracken Ridge Road, Bracken Ridge
- Telegraph Road extension (near Langer Place) into Telegraph Road, Bracken Ridge
- Bilsen Road into Zillmere Road, Boondall
- Constitution Road into Lutwyche Road, Windsor
- Wyncroft Street into Cavendish Road, Holland Park
- Teralba Park access road into Osborne Road, Mitchelton
- Jurgens Street (southern leg) into Logan Road, Woolloongabba
- Bowen Street into Lutwyche Road, Windsor
- McLennan Street into Albion Road, Albion
- Maud Street into Breakfast Creek Road, Newstead
- Edmonstone Road into Breakfast Creek Road, Newstead
- Fortescue Street into Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill
- Bell Street (eastern leg) into Main Street, Kangaroo Point
- Yeronga Street into Fairfield Road, Yeronga.
Rickertt Road into Green Camp Road, Wakerley has been de-commissioned due to the road corridor upgrade.
The Left Turn on Red facilities will continue at the following intersections:
- Hellawell Road into Gowan Road, Sunnybank Hills
- Edge Street into Creek Road, Murarrie
- Spence Street into Broadwater Road, Mt Gravatt East.
- Wolverhampton Street into Webster Road, Stafford
- Service Road (McDonald’s side) into New Cleveland Road, Tingalpa
- Durack Street into Ipswich Road, Moorooka
- Mira Street into Poinsettia Street, Inala
- Finsbury Street into Newmarket Road, Newmarket
- Payne Road into Waterworks Road, The Gap
- Delavan Street into Newnham Road, Upper Mount Gravatt
- Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre exit into Dandenong Road, Mount Ommaney
- Given Terrace into Fernberg Road, Paddington
- Church Road (northern leg) into Roghan Road, Taigum
- Meadowlands Road into Belmont Road, Belmont
- Kitchener Road (southern leg) into Lancaster Road, Ascot
- Timor Street into Klumpp Road, Upper Mount Gravatt
- Persse Road into Compton Road, Stretton
- Muller Road (southern leg) into Beams Road, Taigum
- Norman Street (southern leg) into Stanley Street East, East Brisbane
- Gotha Street into St Pauls Terrace, Fortitude Valley
- Church Road (southern leg) into Roghan Road, Taigum
- Container Street into Wynnum Road, Tingalpa
- Newman Road into Hamilton Road, Wavell Heights
- Wynne Street into Beenleigh Road, Sunnybank
- Wilgarning Street into Webster Road, Stafford
- Rookwood Avenue into Orange Grove Road, Coopers Plains
- Archives Avenue into Compton Road, Runcorn
- Hillgrove Street into Broadwater Road, Mt Gravatt East
- Billabong Street into Webster Road, Stafford
- Adams Street into Board Street, Deagon
- Milburn Street into Webster Road, Chermside
- Beaton Street into Orange Grove Road, Coopers Plains
- Arise Boulevard into Gardner Road, Rochedale
- Manson Road into Nudgee Road, Hendra.
Map of Left Turn on Red intersections
View Left turn on red in a larger map