How to dispute a fine or infringement

If you have been issued an infringement notice for incidents such as parking, animals or litter and believe there may be cause for it to be waived, you may request Brisbane City Council to review the fine. The two types of fines you may dispute are on-the-spot fines and infringement notices (PINs).  You may only dispute a PIN if it has been issued for an incident regarding:

  • animals
  • environment
  • litter
  • malls
  • parking
  • pool fences
  • signage
  • tolling
  • water
  • vegetation

Stage one - local level review

In the first stage, the Council area that issued the fine or PIN will investigate your request to dispute the infringement.

You will need to lodge your request in writing within 28 days from the date the fine was issued, to avoid further notices or additional costs.

Providing evidence or additional information with your dispute

To help Council decide your case, it is important you provide sufficient supporting evidence when you lodge your review request. Depending on the type of PIN issued you should try to include (where applicable):

  • photographs or diagrams showing the exact location of the incident
  • building approvals or private certifier documents
  • vehicle repair receipt
  • a statutory declaration form completed by an eye witness. You can download the form from the Queensland Courts website
  • written advice or a crime report from the Queensland Police Service
  • pay and display parking ticket or receipt or a certified copy
  • infringement notice or a photocopy. If you don't have this, provide the following (where applicable):
    • infringement number
    • date of the incident
    • vehicle registration number
    • animal name, type and registration number
    • name and current address of the company or owner, if different to your own. You'll need to download, print and complete the statutory declaration (PDF - 127kb) to indicate you weren't the driver (this statutory document may be inaccessible to website assistive technologies. For assistance, phone Council on 07 3403 8888)

Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.

Lodging your stage one review

You can dispute a fine online or send your review letter with any evidence and additional information to:

Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 589
Brisbane Qld 4001

After the investigation, Council will send you a written decision to let you know if the fine stands or if it has been waived, and will advise of your further review rights.

Stage two - Disputes Commissioner

If your fine stands and you disagree with the decision from stage one, you can request a review by Council’s Disputes Commissioner. This is an independent office within Council that will investigate the matter then make a recommendation to either overturn or uphold the decisions reached during stage one.

Your appeal should be made within 14 days of the date on the letter advising you of the stage one decision.

Lodging your stage two review

To assist the investigation in stage two, you will need to send the following to the Disputes Commissioner:

Send this information to:

Disputes Commissioner
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 589
Brisbane Qld 4001

The Disputes Commissioner will send you a written decision to let you know if the fine stands or if it has been waived. This is Council’s final decision on the matter. Advice will be provided to you regarding further review rights.

Stage three - external review

If your fine stands after the Disputes Commissioner has investigated your review in stage two and you disagree with the decision, you have other external options for review. These include electing to have your case heard in the Magistrates Court (view the back of your fine for details), alternatively, you can pay the fine to resolve the matter.

27 March 2015