How to dispute a fine or infringement

Brisbane City Council issues infringement notices (PINs) for incidents such as illegal parking, animal infringements and littering. If you believe your fine/infringement should be waived, request Council review it. Find out how you can dispute a fine or infringement.

Council has a three stage dispute process:

If your fine relates to a parking incident, check your parking fine details before lodging a dispute.

Providing evidence or additional information

You should provide sufficient supporting evidence to Council when you lodge your request. Depending on the type of PIN issued you should include (where applicable):

  • photographs or diagrams of the exact location of the incident
  • building approvals or private certifier documents
  • vehicle repair receipt if relevant (i.e. vehicle broken down at time of offence)
  • a statutory declaration form completed by an eye witness. You can download the form from the Queensland Courts website
  • written advice or a crime report from the Queensland Police Service
  • pay and display parking ticket or receipt, or a certified copy
  • infringement notice or a photocopy. If you don't have this, provide the following (where applicable):
    • infringement number
    • date of the incident
    • vehicle registration number
    • animal name, type and registration number
    • name and current address of the company or owner, if different to your own.

If your fine relates to a parking incident, you must download, print and complete our statutory declaration form (PDF - 66kb) if you were not the driver. 

Stage one - local level review

Council will investigate the matters raised in your dispute and will decide if there are sufficient grounds to waive or cancel the PIN.

You must lodge your request to Council within 28 days from the PIN issued date to avoid further notices or additional costs. Upon receipt, Council will place the matter on hold until a final decision is made.

Tolling infringements

The above local level review information also relates to tolling PIN disputes. However, statutory declarations nominating another driver at the time of travel is not applicable. The registered owner receives the notice on all Linkt tolling notices. This includes final demand notices.

Drivers are not issued a toll infringement for non-payment of tolls. They are for the offence of 'fail to comply with a local government tollway notice to the registered owner of vehicle'.

You can lodge a dispute with supporting documentation if you have sold the vehicle or the vehicle or plates have been stolen at the time of travel.

Information privacy 

Council will take all reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the privacy of individuals as required by the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the information privacy principles contained within the Act. Council may pass your personal information to its contracted service provider to manage the process on your behalf. 

For your security, do not send your complete bank or financial institution details or statements when appealing a fine. If you believe this information is essential, erase or black out account numbers and other sensitive information.

Lodging your stage one review

You can dispute a fine online or send a written request for review with any evidence and additional information to:

Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 589
Brisbane Qld 4001

Council will send you a written decision. Advice about the stage two process review rights are provided if the fine remains in place.

Stage two review - Disputes Commissioner

If you disagree with the decision from stage one, you can request a review by Council’s Disputes Commissioner. This applies if the PIN was issued for an incident regarding:

  • animals
  • environment
  • malls
  • parking
  • pool fences
  • signage
  • water
  • vegetation.

The Disputes Commissioner is an independent office within Council. They will investigate your matter and make a recommendation about the decision from the stage one review.

You should appeal within 14 days of the date on the letter advising you of the stage one decision.

You can still appeal to Council to have your fine further reviewed if it was not for an incident listed above.

Resubmit the dispute a fine form attaching any additional information or evidence that may help your appeal.

Lodging your stage two review

You will need to submit the appeal in writing to the Disputes Commissioner by providing:

The Disputes Commissioner will review all previous evidence as well as any new information you provide.

Send this information to:

Disputes Commissioner
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 589
Brisbane Qld 4001.

The Disputes Commissioner will send you a written decision. This is Council’s final decision on the matter. Advice is provided regarding your further review rights.

Stage three – external review

If you disagree with the decision made, you can elect to have your case heard in the Magistrates Court. Details are on the back of your fine. Alternatively, you can pay the fine to resolve the matter.

Last updated:13 June 2019