If you have a problem, issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of Brisbane City Council, we would like to hear about it.

Complaints management policy

Council has a complaints management policy to ensure we deal with all complaints in a fair and efficient manner. Your comments provide us with valuable feedback to allow for continuous customer service improvement.

    If you require further information about the complaint management process, download the:

    How to make a complaint

    You can lodge most maintenance complaints, such as damaged footpaths and roads, online.

    For other complaints:

    Lodge a general complaint online

    Alternatively you can phone Council on 07 3403 8888.

    How Council investigates your complaint

    Council will direct your concern to the business area best able to deal with it. The business area will investigate the issue and responds directly to you.

    A Council officer may contact you to discuss your concerns or to ask for further information.

    In some cases, an independent Council officer may review your complaint if other avenues of investigation have been exhausted.

    Complaints about decisions or actions

    If you are not satisfied with a decision or action of Council and have been directly affected as a result, you can request a review of the decision or action.

    Council has a two-stage review process starting with an internal review conducted by the work unit. This review is conducted by a senior Council officer that was not involved in the initial decision. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you can request an independent review. This review is conducted by the Office of the Disputes Commissioner to ensure the processes, procedures and actions of Council staff were appropriate and reasonable.

    Flow chart

    The flow chart below outlines the process for submitting a request for a review of an action or a decision made by Council that you have been affected by.

    Step 1

    Initial complaint

    If you have a problem, issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of Council, you may lodge a general complaint either online or via phone.

    Your complaint will be sent to the relevant work area to conduct an assessment, investigate, action and respond.

    Step 2

    Internal review

    Should you not be satisfied with the outcome or response to your initial complaint, you may request an internal review be conducted.

    This review will be conducted by a senior officer within the work area that was responsible for the initial complaint outcome. The senior officer will conduct an assessment of the matter, investigate and then respond to you with the outcome of their review.

    Step 3

    Independent review

    If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review that has been conducted by the work area, you can request that an independent review of the entire matter be conducted by the Office of the Disputes Commissioner.

    The Office of the Disputes Commissioner will contact you to confirm the key issues of your concerns and conduct a thorough review of all evidence and information related to the matter prior to providing you with an outcome of the review.

    Step 4

    External agency

    If you are not satisfied with the outcome of an independent review, you can have your concern considered by an external agency such as the Queensland Ombudsman or Judicial Review.

    How to make a complaint about a decision or action

    To ensure your complaint is directed to the most appropriate area of Council to review and respond to, the following steps should be followed:

    Step 1

    Request an internal review

    You can lodge an internal review request in writing. This should be addressed to the Council officer or work area that notified you of the decision or action that is the subject of your complaint.

    When requesting an internal review, please include all previous correspondence with Council related to the matter, along with details of what you are seeking to be reviewed and any additional information you wish to have considered.

    Step 2

    Request an independent review

    If you are dissatisfied with the outcome from an internal review, you may request for an independent review of the matter be conducted. You can lodge your independent review request in writing to

    Please include the internal review outcome notification you received, along with any additional information you wish to be considered.

    How long it will take

    Council does its best to resolve your complaint within 14-45 days. This depends on the nature and complexity of your complaint.

    You should be aware that by lodging a complaint, the matter is not automatically suspended or put on hold.

    Further action

    If not satisfied with the outcome, you have the right to take your complaint to an external agency, such as the Queensland Ombudsman or Judicial Review.

    Council’s commitment to Human Rights

    On 1 January 2020 the new Human Rights Act 2019 (the Act) commenced in Queensland. There are 23 human rights including right to life, property rights, privacy and reputational rights, cultural rights and the right to freedom of expression. Under the Act, Council has responsibilities to ensure the 23 human rights are considered when delivering services, making decisions and developing policies. ​

    How to lodge a Human Rights complaint

    In the event you consider Council has not fulfilled its obligations in upholding your human rights, you may make a complaint to Council. Human Rights complaints made by all means will be accepted. It is Council’s preference that you make your complaint in writing, addressed to the Disputes Commissioner, via:

    In lodging a Human Rights complaint with Council it is important to specify which of the 23 human rights you believe have not been adhered to by Council and provide all evidence that you wish to rely on in your initial complaint.

    Council will endeavour to respond and resolve your complaint within 45 business days.

    Further action

    Should Council fail to respond to your complaint within 45 business days, or should you be dissatisfied with the response Council has offered, you may make a complaint to the Human Rights Commissioner.

    In exceptional circumstances the Human Rights Commissioner may accept your complaint prior to the 45 business days having elapsed. The Queensland Human Rights Commission website provides information and resources about Human Rights and how to make Human Rights complaints, via the Queensland Human Rights Commission website.

    Last updated:

    Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.