Owner's consent for applications including Council owned land

Owner's consent is required from Brisbane City Council when Council owned land (or land held by Council in trust) is proposed to be the subject of, or included in an application.

Owner's consent can be requested online for the following types of applications that include Council owned land (or land held by Council in trust):

Owner's consent applications undergo an assessment process and are considered on a case by case basis. On completion of the assessment process, Council will advise whether owner's consent will be granted or whether Council owned land (or land held by Council in trust) is not permitted to be included in the application.

Development application

For development applications to be properly processed, the owner of all land included in the development application must consent to the application being made. The Planning Act 2016 (the Act) makes it mandatory to consent to the making of the development application for the owner of the land to which a development application relates to. In a development application context, owner's consent is required under the Act, in particular Chapter 3, Part 2, Division 2, Section 51.

The owner of land, premises or place as defined in the Act, includes Council owned freehold land as well as land held in trust by Council.

Owner's consent is not required when the land that is subject of an application:

  • has the benefit of an easement and the development is not inconsistent with the terms of the easement
  • is acquisition land and the application relates to the purpose for which the land is to be taken or acquired.

If owner's consent is granted to lodge a development application, this consent does not constitute nor imply approval of the subject development application, which is subject to normal development assessment requirements as set out under the Act.

Owner's consent is valid for 12 months from the issue date and the consent will automatically lapse if the development application has not been lodged within that time.

Change application

Owner's consent is also required when Council owned land is included in a change application.

Sewer or water connection application

If your application for owner's consent is approved by Council, easements will be required by Council and/or the Queensland Government for water and sewer infrastructure passing through Council or State owned land. Easements are required to allow for construction, maintenance, inspection, demolition, access and also control work in or near the infrastructure within the easement.

There are charges associated with the granting of easement applications on Council land. The easement application fee is $1974.75.

The easement land will be valued and the applicant is responsible for the costs of the valuer's service and the considerations cost of the easement area. 

For information about easements on State owned land visit the Queensland Government website.

Owner's consent - application process

On lodgement of your application with Council, Council will undertake stakeholder consultation to assess the suitability of Council owned land being included in the application. The standard consultation period for stakeholders is five working days from the receipt of the request.

A response either approving or objecting to owner's consent is generally provided to the applicant within three weeks from receipt of the request. However, in some circumstances, processing of the application could take longer.

Land subject of a lease - landlord consent / owner's consent

If you have entered into a commercial lease arrangement with Council over the land in which you require owner’s consent under the Planning Act 2016 , prior to lodging your request for owner’ consent please contact your leasing representative in Council’s Commercial Leasing team to discuss whether landlord consent is required under the lease. The response from your Council leasing representative must be provided with your request for owner’s consent.

If you have entered into a community lease arrangement with Council over the land in which you require owner’s consent under the Planning Act 2016, please contact your leasing representative in Council’s Connected Communities’ team to commence the process for landlord and owner’s consent.

Information required by Council 

Supporting information is required by Council as part of any application for owner's consent when Council owned land or, for some types of applications, land held in trust by Council is subject of or included in an application. The table below indicates general information required for each application type. 

Once your application for owner's consent is submitted, Council will advise if other information is required including site or vegetation management plans, detailed design documents, construction methodology or hydraulic reports.

Types of information or documents required by Council in owners consent application for each type of external owners consent.
  Letter of request stating details of application Completed DA form/s Title search Plans and photos Completed Heritage Exemption Certificate Completed Riverine Protection Permit Completed Clearing Plant Protection Permit Urban Utilities Property Owner's Consent Form (sewer)
Development application Yes Yes Yes Yes        
Change request Yes Yes Yes Yes        
Heritage Exemption Certificate Yes   Yes Yes Yes      
Water or sewer (Urban Utilities property owner's consent form) Yes   Yes Yes       Yes
Access Council land for geotechnical investigations Yes   Yes Yes        
Riverine protection permit Yes   Yes Yes   Yes    
Clearing plant protection permit Yes   Yes Yes     Yes  

How to apply

Submit your application online.

Once your application has been submitted, a Council officer will contact you.

If you have any questions about your application, email Council's Land Use Management team

Related information

Find out how to:

Last updated: 14 December 2022

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.