Brisbane's Sister City - Kaohsiung
Brisbane’s long-standing Sister City relationship with Kaohsiung, continues to deliver economic and social benefits to both cities. The relationship was formalised on 9 September 1997.
Since 1997, the Sister City relationship has continued to generate mutually beneficial outcomes. 2017 marked the 20th Anniversary of the Brisbane-Kaohsiung Sister City Relationships and the two cities reaffirmed further development in fields including:
- trade, investment and business development
- urban renewal and Harbour and waterfront development
- health and education training
- tourism and creative industries
- culture and personnel exchange
- social and cultural links.
On this page you can find general information about Kaohsiung, as well as download a key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet.
- is a beautiful and modern metropolis located in southern Taiwan
- faces the Taiwan Strait in on the west and Bashi Channel on the south
- is Taiwan’s second largest city with a population of more than 2.8 million and an area of 2946 square kilometres
- is home to Chai Mountain, Banping Mountain, the Love River, and Dongsha Atoll National Park
- is the major port through which most of Taiwan’s oil is imported
- has the Port of Kaohsiung, an international hub and ranked number 13 in container volume for cargo from all over the world, linking Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, China, Europe and the America.
- metal and steel
- oil and coal
- machinery and ships
- electronic components
- information communication and audio technology.
Kaohsiung City hosted the 2009 World Games, a multi-sport event primarily composed of sports not featured in the Olympic Games.
The 2013 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum was successfully hosted by Kaohsiung from 9-11 September 2013 and the Lord Mayor of Brisbane led a delegation of 80 Brisbane business, government and youth leaders to the Summit.
The business and residential communities of both cities proactively contribute to the development of the Sister City Relationship and Kaohsiung remains one of Brisbane’s most successful and valued Sister Cities.
- Kaohsiung key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (PDF - 1.6Mb)
- Kaohsiung key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (Word - 96kb).
For more information visit the Kaohsiung Sister Cities website.