Brisbane's Sister City - Shenzhen
The Sister City relationship between Brisbane and Shenzhen is significant and long-standing, having been formalised in 1992. 2017 marked the 25th anniversary of the Brisbane-Shenzhen Sister City Relationship. The relationship is currently focussing on economic cooperation and mutual business development opportunities.
On this page you can find general information about Shenzhen as well as download a key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet.
- is a picturesque seaboard city in the south of Guangdong province
- covers an area of 2050 square kilometres
- has a population of more than 11.9 million
- has a subtropical maritime climate and a yearly average temperature of 22.4 °C
- is an information-technology hut and home to some of China’s most successful high-tech companies.
Shenzhen is often called the gateway to Guangdong, the main technology manufacturing area in China. It is one of China’s main ports for foreign trade and international exchange. In the 1980s, Shenzhen became the first Special Economic Zone in China, a pioneer in liberalization, both in terms of trade and politics. Shenzhen is a major financial centre in southern China. The city is home to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange as well as the headquarters of numerous home grown multinational companies such as Tencent, Vanke, Huawei, BYD, Ping An Insurance, China Merchants Bank and ZTE. It also has one of the busiest container ports in the world.
Prominent industry sectors include:
- new energy
- cultural and creative
- life science and health care
- smart equipment/wearable device industry.
Significant activities include:
- October 2004: Lord Mayoral Business Mission to Shenzhen to attend the China Hi-Tech Fair
- August 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Shenzhen Trade Show at the Brisbane Ekka (36 major Shenzhen companies exhibited)
- October 2005: Lord Mayoral Business Mission to Shenzhen to explore business opportunities
- August 2007: Mayor of Shenzhen attended the 2007 Asia Pacific Cities Summit
- July 2008: Lord Mayoral Business Mission to Shenzhen to explore business opportunities.
- Shenzhen key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Shenzhen key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (Word - 96kb).
Visit the Shenzhen Sister Cities website for more information.