The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarship Program and Mentoring Scheme
The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarship Program and Mentoring Scheme provides business training and mentoring opportunities for Brisbane residents from multicultural backgrounds. It includes two separate programs.
The Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Scholarship Program provides aspiring business owners with the knowledge and skills to establish or grow a business in its early stages. It includes training courses from Certificate IV through to post-graduate university courses.
The Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Mentoring Scheme is a 12 month program with monthly workshops which assists existing business owners to grow their businesses.
Since 2008, the programs have delivered almost 350 scholarship and mentoring placements. In 2018, 27 business scholarships and 14 mentoring scheme placements were awarded to residents of the Brisbane local government area.
Applications for the 2019 Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Scholarship Program and Mentoring Scheme closed on 12 April.
As part of the Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarship Program, applicants can apply for a variety of business training courses. These courses suit applicants who want to start a new business, grow a business or gain expertise in a specific field.
The following programs will be offered in 2019:
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management (BSB42515) with TAFE Queensland
- Certificate IV in New Small Business (BSB42615) with TAFE Queensland
- Diploma of Leadership and Management with Site Institute
- Master in Information Technology or Master in Business Administration (Health Services Management) with Federation University Australia
- Diploma in Beauty Therapy with the Brisbane School of Hairdressing and Beauty
- Certificate IV in Travel and Tourism with Academies Australasia
- Company Directors Course with Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Young Professionals’ Forum placement as part of the 2019 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum.
The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Mentoring Scheme is designed to provide budding entrepreneurs of established businesses with:
- direct and formal contact with local, experienced and credible mentors
- understanding of the local business culture, environment, business systems and services
- networking opportunities with the Brisbane business community
- a supportive learning environment with like-minded business people in similar situations.
This is a 12 month program where mentors work in pairs and deliver monthly workshops to small groups of mentees. Mentors are also available for email and phone enquiries from their mentees throughout the year. Successful applicants also receive a one-year membership to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland.
Find out if you are eligible
To be considered for the scholarship program or mentoring scheme, nominees must:
- be from a multicultural or culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) background with at least one natural parent born in a country other than Australia,
- have Australian citizenship or hold permanent residency, and
- personally reside in the Brisbane City Council local government area.
In addition, to apply for the mentor scheme nominees must:
- have completed a scholarship as part of the Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarships Program or
- have been in business for at least two years.
To ensure that as many Brisbane residents benefit from these programs as possible, those who previously received a scholarship under this program are ineligible to receive a second scholarship. However, if you have been able to grow your business as a result of undertaking a scholarship through the Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarships Program, you are encouraged to apply for the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Mentoring Scheme.
Mentoring scheme testimonials
Jaroslav Kovar, founder and director of HSEQ Toolshop Pty Ltd
"The mentoring program offered by BCC/LMMRT is a unique offering that brings together a wide range of business ideas from a group of people with an equally wide multicultural background. While Mentees are new to the business, eager for advice and guidance, mentors have been successfully in the business for number of years and understand the specifics of the AU market. For me, it was the Mentor's insight together with other mentees mental support and group camaraderie which came as the highlight. After the 2016-2017 program, we keep in touch and are already planning to catch up again prior to this Christmas.
Highly recommend to those lucky ones who can get through the selection process."
Dr Niels Kraaier, Dutchuncle.
"In 2016, I wanted to focus on growing my communications consultancy. I had extensive international experience in the government sector but was not sure how to go about growing the business here in Australia. I undertook the Certificate IV New Small Business Course through TAFE Queensland. The course was held over approximately three months and I attended classes twice a week. This was the most valuable business training that I have ever received. Also being a part of the program, helped me to connect with other aspiring entrepreneurs and I have been able to forge an incredible support network."
Vian Lin, Editor-in-chief, Brisbane Elite, director of Harmonie International, Harmonie Music Centre
"It is grateful to be able to have this opportunity to access so many resources and receive professional advices from my mentors. They are willing to give, teach and share their knowledge, experiences and help me and the rest of my classmates. Meeting this group on a monthly basis feels like having a spa on the top of the mountain. I'm energised, refreshed and more passionate about my business! Thank you!"
Zhen Guan, Managing Director of Broadlingual
”As a recipient of both the business scholarship and mentoring program, I am greatly indebted to the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Round Table for their vision. I would like to thank the Lord Mayor and his Multicultural Round Table for providing me with an opportunity to gain business techniques and insights. I deeply believe your investment in multicultural communities in this beautiful city will bring more benefits and prosperity to its residents.”