The Environmental Policy recognises our environmental responsibilities to manage the city and serve the community of Brisbane by:
- developing, implementing and regulating environmental policy and standards
- delivering waste management, public transport, construction and maintenance works
- implementing land use planning and management
- providing public amenities, parks and gardens.
Council aims to minimise environmental impacts associated with our activities, while conserving and enhancing the city’s biodiversity.
To ensure the city’s environment and resource efficiency improves over time, Council will:
- comply with and where practical, exceed the requirements of relevant legislation, policy and standards to continually improve our environmental performance
- work in partnership with the Brisbane community and regional organisations to enhance the city's environmental quality, while respecting cultural, social and economic values
- regularly assess and audit our environmental performance and the effectiveness of our environmental management systems
- improve our environmental performance through setting and reviewing measurable objectives and targets
- ensure our employees, suppliers and contractors are aware of and able to respond to their environmental responsibilities
- support and implement waste reduction, reuse, recycling and resource recovery programs
- reduce resource consumption, including energy use
- give purchase preference, where feasible, to reusable, recycled and environmentally-friendly products
- improve environmental outcomes by developing innovative regulatory policy for industry and the community
- prevent pollution at its source and continually improve Council’s response to pollution incidents to minimise their impacts and occurrence.
Through the implementation of our policy, Council aims to be a leader, benchmark and champion of sustainability and environmental best practice. We will continue to inform our community on initiatives and strategies adopted. Council will resource the implementation of this policy and review our environmental performance regularly.