Supporting small business and nurturing innovation means a strong economy with more jobs right across Brisbane. Brisbane City Council has an ongoing commitment to supporting innovation and using smart, connected thinking to deliver a more liveable and prosperous city, in line with the Brisbane 2022 New World City Action Plan and Brisbane Vision 2031.
Highlights of the recently released Council Annual Plan and Budget 2018-19 to support this commitment include:
- $200,000 towards the setup of an innovation lab within Brisbane Marketing, which will identify and solve economic and civic challenges and launch new initiatives to benefit residents and business.
- Delivering Brisbane Innovate for the third year, Council’s flagship Open Innovation event that brings together private industry, government, academia and the community to collectively solve city challenges.
- $248,000 to expand free Wi-Fi to even more suburban centres.
- Continuing to explore opportunities for data science to create efficiency for Council operations, and funding proof of concepts to explore new and innovative solutions and opportunities for Brisbane.
- Ongoing investment in the Brisbane Datastore website to share re-usable, accessible and understandable Council data with the public.