Pre-trade work experience
Brisbane City Council's Pre-trade Work Experience program provides high school students and those currently completing a pre-vocational training course with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a trade environment. Students completing pre-vocational training can be placed for up to 20 days each calendar year and high school students for up to 10 days (or longer if it is a mandatory and assessable component of their study).
Students who perform well during their placement may be considered for available apprenticeship positions.
Types of work experience
Council offers unpaid work experience in various trades, including:
- painting and decorating
- engineering (fabrication)
- auto electrical
- heavy vehicle mechanics
- auto manufacturing
- signage and graphics
- parks and gardens
- sports turf management.
To apply for pre-trade work experience, you must:
- be enrolled at high school or in a pre-vocational training course at a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in Australia.
- have personal accident insurance and public liability insurance coverage provided by the educational establishment you are currently enrolled in (speak to your Vocational Education and Training, (VET) coordinator or careers advisor to confirm).
How to apply
Contact the career advisor at your school or RTO for help with your application and to confirm that personal insurance coverage can be provided during your work experience.
Email your trade of interest, availability dates and a resume to Council's Employment programs team.
For more information on Council's Pre-trade Work Experience program:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email Employment programs.