Bus operator benefits
Brisbane City Council offers attractive wages and excellent conditions for bus operators including:
- fully paid comprehensive training, including training in customer service, electronic ticketing and procedures
- a range of flexible work options
- free uniforms
- 9% superannuation contribution for trainees and casuals (you can also make voluntary contributions)
- weekly wages paid directly into your nominated bank account.
Shifts run seven days a week. The earliest shifts start at about 4am and most late shifts finish by 2am.
Full-time or casual
If you prefer shorter shifts (three to five hours), particularly in the morning and afternoon peak times, then look at casual employment.
However, if you want to work full-time (38 hours per week), apply for a traineeship.
Council hires casual employees on an hourly basis and pays for hours worked. Work is scheduled according to business needs.
Most casual work is in the morning and afternoon peaks, Monday to Friday. Casual bus operators also perform charter work and special events.
You need to be available to work:
- a minimum of any three days between Monday and Friday, or
- five mornings or five afternoons Monday to Friday.
The hourly pay rate is $28.26 (this includes 23% loading) plus overtime and penalty rates paid as applicable.
Council initially employees trainees as full-time bus operators. While completing your traineeship, you are employed on a temporary full-time basis (38 hour week).
- are usually for up to two years (but can be shorter depending on prior transport experience)
- offer full-time work while completing a Certificate III in Driving Operations.
You may be offered a permanent position if you complete the traineeship and meet Transport for Brisbane's performance standards.
Initially, you are required to work different shifts including early, late, afternoon and broken shifts. You will need to be available to work whatever shift you are offered.
Trainee bus operators’ pay rates are:
- starting base pay rate - $803.30 per week (gross) plus overtime and penalty rates as applicable
- after 13 months - $873.10 per week (gross) plus overtime and penalty rates as applicable (if you meet Transport for Brisbane performance standards).