Join almost 140,000 homes in Brisbane who are enjoying the benefits of a green waste recycling bin and helping to keep green waste out of landfill.
The green waste recycling service is the easy and affordable way to dispose of your lawn clippings, palm fronds, prunings and leaves. To encourage sustainable recycling practices, Council has reduced the cost of the green waste recycling service to less than $1 a week. Collected fortnightly from your home, the garden waste is then delivered to Council’s resource recovery centres where it is recycled and turned into mulch, ready for reuse.
Brisbane homeowners can contact Council to order their green waste recycling service and save at the same time. If you are a tenant interested in maintaining your yard, please ask your property owner or landlord to approve and order the green waste recycling service on your behalf.
Green waste currently represents 26% of the material in household general waste bins that could be diverted from landfill. By keeping green waste out of landfill, fewer emissions of methane and carbon dioxide are produced, limiting the number of gases reaching the atmosphere and lowering your household’s annual carbon footprint.
If you only produce a small amount of green waste or are looking for an at-home solution, why not give home composting a go. Whether you live in an apartment or stand-alone house, there is a composting method for you. Alternatively, waste vouchers can also be utilised to recycle green waste at any of Council’s four resource recovery centres.
Top five green waste recycling bin tips
- Green bins are collected fortnightly, so time mowing the lawn with your bin collection calendar. Download the Brisbane Bin and Recycling app to find your green bin collection day and to set-up fortnightly reminders.
- Keep your green waste loose. Don't put it in plastic bags, including biodegradable or compostable bin bags. Loose is best.
- Cut larger palm fronds down so they fit inside the bin to make collection easier. The lid must be closed.
- Remember, garden waste can get heavy, so watch how much weight you put inside your bin to make sure the collection vehicle can collect your garden waste easily.
- Only put plant waste in your green bin. Hoses, plastic plant pots, potting mix bags, and other waste from your garden must not be added.