Garden waste and your fruit and vegetable scraps can all be composted at home, work or in the community to improve your garden's health and Brisbane's soils.
Compost and food waste recycling
Recycling your food scraps, garden clippings and other forms of green waste is a powerful way to make a positive impact on the environment and is something that all households, schools and businesses can do. It helps:
- reduce the amount of food waste going to landfill
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions (including methane and nitrous oxide)
- create a sustainable, organic resource for your garden that is efficient, environmentally friendly and economical
- regenerate the soil in your own garden or local community garden
- conserve water – compost has excellent water-holding capacity
- build healthy and regenerative communities.
Regardless of whether you live in a house, townhouse or unit, there are many ways you can put your food and garden scraps to good use, even if you don't have access to your own garden. Schools, workplaces, aged care and community facilities can also recycle food and garden scraps.
Use the information below to start your compost and food waste recycling journey today!