Become a master composter
Are you an experienced and passionate composter who would like to inspire others in your community?
Brisbane City Council offers a free two-day advanced training course in composting to help you gain further skills and knowledge so that you can encourage others in your local community (e.g. retirement village, apartment complex, local school, kindy etc.) to take up composting.
About the course
The Master Composter course is two full days of in-person sessions. Following the completion of the course, participants are required to use their new skills by completing 20 hours of volunteer work on organic recycling in the community before receiving their Master Composter certificate.
The course will provide in-depth training on:
- the science of composting
- composting methods
- other organic recycling techniques (such as worm farming, bokashi, and black soldier fly larvae)
- facilitation skills
- helping others learn about composting.
Master Composter course booklet
This course book is designed to be a reference which accompanies the course. The course will follow part of the material in this booklet and in roughly the same order.
Download the booklet in your preferred format:
- Master Composter Brisbane Course booklet (PDF - 4.5Mb)
- Master Composter Brisbane Course booklet (Word - 469kb).
To be considered for the course you must:
- have current working knowledge of composting or worm farming, either composting at your own home or at a community garden
- be willing and able to attend two full days of in-person training
- be willing and able to complete 20 hours of volunteer work (within 12 months of completing the training) which promotes and assists composting in the community.
Examples of volunteer work include:
- volunteering at a community compost hub
- volunteering at a school, retirement home, workplace, or community centre to help with composting
- running compost workshops
- providing information to the public on composting at community events (e.g. fetes, fairs)
After completing your volunteer hours, you will receive a certificate of completion.
The next Master Composter course will be held on Saturday 4 and 11 June 2022. Attendance at both dates is required to complete the course.