Love your food leftovers and prevent food waste
Did you know that almost half of the leftovers in the average Brisbane household fridge are thrown away without being used? Leftovers are often forgotten, or we don't feel like eating the same meal again.
Planning to have leftovers is a great way to reduce food waste, save money, and to make the most of the time you spend in the kitchen preparing food.
Make the most of your food leftovers
Check out our Love Food Hate Waste ideas to help you love your food leftovers, instead of putting them in the bin and sending them to landfill.
- Make an 'eat me first' spot in your fridge - Put leftovers in a place you will see every time you open the fridge. Label a plate or sealed container as 'eat me first'.
- Freeze your leftovers - Most leftover meals can be frozen. Freeze leftovers to eat when you don't feel like cooking. Label them clearly with food and date.
- Lazy lunch - Eating leftovers for lunch is quick and easy and can save you money.
- Store correctly - Read our smart food storage tips to feel more confident about storing leftovers safely.
- Shop from the fridge - Before heading to the supermarket, check what's in your fridge before you write your shopping list. This will help you to only buy food you need and will consume.
- Build a leftovers night into your meal plan - If you expect to have some leftovers during your meal plan period, make a plan to eat them. Dedicate one night a week to a dinner made up of leftovers and give yourself a night off cooking!
Subscribe to our e-newsletter
Sign up to get news about sustainability, lifestyle and events in Brisbane in a single e-newsletter.