For bin collection:
- check it is your correct day of service
- place the bin on the footpath next to kerb, with handle towards the house. This must be done by 5.30am on the day of collection
- ensure there is access to the bin
- ensure the waste, recycling and green waste are not cross-contaminated
- do not block pedestrian pathways or vehicle access
- close the bin lid
- bag all loose rubbish going into your general waste bin - such as dust, kitchen scraps and grass clippings.
- recycling should not be bagged
- keep garden prunings small
- do not overload the bin (maximum weight is 70 kilograms).
Rubbish bins left on the footpath or kerb
The Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2009 requires rubbish bin removal from the footpath or kerb as soon as practical after collection.
Empty bins left on the footpath after collection are frustrating for residents and a safety hazard. Bins left on Brisbane's narrower footpaths may force pedestrians onto the road.
Council may investigate bins continually left on the footpath or kerb and issue fines to offenders.
You are responsible for returning your rubbish bin to your property as soon as practical after collection. Council may issue on-the-spot fines if you do not have a reasonable excuse for not returning your bins to your property.
Lodging a complaint
When investigating complaints about rubbish bins left on the footpath, kerb, street or road, Council considers:
- the day of service (the day of collection)
- how long the bins are on the footpath or kerb
- how often the bins are left out
To lodge a complaint about a bin left out:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- write to Council.
Normal bin collection services run on public holidays including Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday. You should put your bins out for collection by 5.30am.
You can lodge an online missed bin request after 4.30pm on your day of service. Bins are collected as soon as possible.
You must report a missed recycling or green bin collection within two working days of your normal day of service. Missed recycling or green waste bins reported after this timeframe are collected on your next scheduled collection day.
Contact Council to arrange an extra waste collection for a fee.
Council can arrange for bin collection from within your property if:
- you are infirm
- you have a physical or sensory disability
- no able-bodied person lives at your address
- the collection point for your bins will not pose a potential safety risk to staff.
To apply for bin collection assistance, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.