Acceptable recycling and waste at our resource recovery centres

Brisbane City Council resource recovery centres (previously known as 'transfer stations') are located at Willawong, Chandler, Ferny Grove and Nudgee. Use this page to find out what you can take to our resource recovery centres. For information about what you can put in your bins at home, download Council's free Brisbane Bin and Recycling app.

Residents in vehicles:

  • less than 4.5 tonnes combined gross vehicle mass (CGVM), can use the drive-through, free recycling area to unload accepted recycling materials and Treasure Trove donations
  • above 4.5 tonnes CGVM, can recycle using the labelled bins in the disposal area (fees apply).

Separate your items before arriving to make recycling quicker and easier and to save money on tipping fees. Find information on using our resource recovery centres.

Acceptable recycling items

Advise staff if your load includes the following recycling materials:

  • aluminium cans
  • batteries (domestic quantities only of household batteries including AAA and D batteries, and lead acid batteries such as car batteries)
  • cardboard and paper
  • clean polystyrene (up to five cubic metres. Loads more than five cubic metres attract fees and charges)
  • toys (Note: broken plastic toys can be recycled in the hard plastic bin. For toys in good condition, refer to acceptable Treasure Trove items)
  • electronic waste*
  • empty gas bottles (a maximum of up to six, nine-kilogram gas bottles)
  • fire extinguishers
  • fluorescent lighting tubes and bulbs
  • glass bottles and jars
  • metals (both ferrous and non-ferrous)
  • mobile phones
  • oil - used mineral engine oil (100 litre limit)
  • oil – cooking oil (20 litre limit)
  • paint, water or oil-based paint (100 litre limit)
  • white goods and appliances.

Limits apply for each product. All quantities must comply with relevant waste disposal regulations.

Find out more about disposing of household hazardous waste.

Remember to delete data from your electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets and laptops before disposing of them to help prevent theft of your personal information (known as 'identity theft'). Contact the manufacturer for advice on erasing data and personal information from your device and associated applications. Erasing your personal information means that no-one can access it after you've disposed of your device.

Acceptable items for donation to Council's Treasure Troves

Council’s Treasure Troves prepare all reusable, donated items for sale. Proceeds go to the Endeavour Foundation to support people with a disability. Resource recovery centre staff may refuse to accept items for donation that are not considered saleable.

Advise staff if your load includes the following items for donation:

  • artwork antiques and sculptures
  • books
  • clothing - quality textiles and wearable clothing
  • furniture and other household items in good working order
  • kitchen utensils
  • shoes and bags
  • sporting equipment including bikes and exercise equipment
  • toys - good quality only (broken plastic toys must be recycled in the hard plastic bin).

General waste

You can take general waste to the resource recovery centres for disposal. Use your waste vouchers or fees will apply.

Resource recovery centres do not accept the following materials:

Visit the Planet Ark Recycling Near You website for information about other recycling and disposal options.

Quantities of soil, concrete and masonry:

  • are accepted for domestic quantities only (equivalent to a trailer or ute load)
  • are not accepted for commercial quantities (equivalent to a truckload or more).

For large quantities, contact a private landfill, concrete-crushing facility, or other disposal outlet that accepts these products. Businesses reuse, recycle or reprocess these products to a saleable product.

Green waste

Waste vouchers or fees apply for the disposal of green waste. Green waste material comes from the garden and includes:

  • branches
  • grass clippings
  • loose bark
  • palm fronds
  • prunings from shrubs and trees
  • weeds.

If you are unsure if the resource recovery centre will accept your green waste products, contact Council.

You can also recycle your garden waste, with fortnightly bin collections, with Council's green waste recycling service or use it as mulch in your garden to improve your soil.

More information

Find out more about reducing waste and recycling in your home, business and school

Last updated: 6 October 2021
Topics: waste