Find out about recovery efforts following the February and May 2022 severe weather and flood events.

Brisbane City Council updates

Brisbane Flood Review

An independent review has been undertaken with respect to the 2022 Brisbane Flood event. For more information, download the:

Flood-affected residents and businesses

Frequently asked questions

My damaged home contains asbestos. How do I remove it?

Material containing asbestos can be damaged during severe weather. Asbestos is dangerous when fibres are inhaled. For more information, visit the Queensland Government's asbestos safety page. For emergencies phone 13 74 68.

My home and/or business flooded, but was insured. What do I do now?

If your property was insured you should contact your insurer as soon as possible to find out what is covered on your policy and ask for advice on repairs and building work that is required at your property. Ensure you keep records, and if possible, photos. of any damage to property or contents. 

If you have difficulties with your insurance company, contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1300 728 228. You can find more information on insurance on the Queensland Government website.

What can I do with my used and left over sandbags?

Sandbags should not be put out for kerbside collection. You can: 

  • store unused sandbags for later use 
  • dispose of the sand as topsoil in grassed or garden area and put the empty bag in your regular waste bin for collection. 

Sandbags that have come into contact with floodwaters can be disposed of at any one of Council’s four resource recovery centres.

Sandbags that have come into contact with oil or other contaminants can be disposed of at our Willawong or Nudgee resource recovery centres. Please notify staff at the gate if you have contaminated sandbags so they can be disposed of safely.

Do I need approval from Council to start repairs or rebuild my flood-affected house?

Council has dedicated officers who can answer simple questions about your development intentions for recovery from the recent weather event. Contact Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak with a Planning Information Officer.

For advice about when a Council approval is required to repair or rebuild a house after a flood, read Council’s Approvals for repairing, raising, or rebuilding flood-affected houses fact sheet (Word - 786kb).

I want to report a maintenance issue to Council.

Use our Contact Council page to report issues and maintenance (e.g. potholes, blocked stormwater drains etc). If you're using a mobile or handheld device, try Council's Report It App.

Community support

Financial assistance and donations

Quick links

I need immediate assistance - residents and visitors

People who need help finding temporary accommodation can phone the Queensland Government hotline 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit their nearest Housing Service Centre

Eligible residents and visitors can also access the Australian and Queensland Governments’ Emergency Hardship Assistance Grant of $180 per person, up to $900 for a family of 5 or more. 

I am a flood-affected resident needing financial assistance

Council is offering eligible residents a $250 rebate off their next rates bill.  Register to apply for the rebate immediately by calling Council on 07 3403 8888. Applications will also open from 14 March via an online application form. 

Issuing of the April quarter rates notices will also be postponed for one month until late April-early May and ratepayers impacted by the severe weather and facing financial difficulties will be eligible to receive payment extensions and access to payment plans. 

Residents who are uninsured or unable to claim insurance may be eligible for the Australian and Queensland Governments’ Essential Household Contents Grant, Structural Assistance Grant and/or Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant. These are income tested. 

The Essential Household Contents Grant is a contribution of up to $1,765 for single adults and up to $5,300 for couples and families towards replacing or repairing essential household contents, such as beds, linen, and white goods, that have been lost or damaged in a disaster. 

The Structural Assistance Grant is a contribution of up to $10,995 for single adults and up to $14,685 for couples and families towards home repairs to make homes secure and safe. 

The Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant is a contribution of up to $200 towards a safety inspection for each essential service needing reconnection (electricity, gas, water and sewerage or septic system) and up to $4200 towards repair work to enable essential services to be reconnected (for example, electrical rewiring). 

For people that have experienced the loss of one or more essential services for more than five days, an Essential Services Hardship Assistance Grant may also be available. This is not income tested. Eligible people will receive $150 per person, up to $750 for a family of five or more.  

Interest-free loans are also available from the Queensland Government to ensure ongoing access to accommodation. 

Mortgage relief loans of up to $20,000 are available to eligible homeowners to help meet loan repayments while dealing with an unexpected change in circumstances, such as the costs associated with storm damage. 

People who need to move into private rental accommodation and need help paying the rental bond may be eligible for an interest-free bond loan from the Queensland Government for the value of up to four weeks’ rent. 

They may also be eligible for a rental grant, which is equivalent to two weeks’ rent. 

I am a flood-affected business or community group needing financial assistance

Council is offering eligible businesses a $250 rebate off their next rates bill. Register to apply for the rebate immediately by phoning Council on 07 3403 8888. Applications will also open from 14 March via an online application form.  

Council will also provide a $5000 payment to not-for-profit community organisations operating from, or located within, a Council leased or licensed community facility that has been impacted by the recent severe weather event.  As part of the Community Facility Disaster Relief program, the one-off payment will provide immediate support to impacted community organisations to make their facilities safe, clean up, conduct minor repairs and return to operation.  

The Queensland Government is offering grants of up to $75,000 for primary producers, up to $50,000 for affected small businesses and not-for-profit organisations, and $20,000 for sporting and community clubs and associations. These grants will be available through the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority and Sport and Recreation Disaster Recovery Program

Preparing for future disaster events

For assistance or more information about disaster preparedness, response and recovery, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.

Find out more information about Council's disaster management plans and tool.

For up-to-date information on road conditions, visit or phone 13 19 40.

For emergency flood or storm assistance, phone the SES on 132 500.

Sign up to the Brisbane Severe Weather Alert or phone Council on 07 3403 8888 for more information.

Last updated:
Topics: severe event

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.