Homeless Connect is a one-day event which provides free services to people experiencing homelessness, or those at risk of homelessness.
The project has helped more than 21,480 people and is part of Brisbane City Council's commitment to improve quality of life for all residents.
This event, organised by Council and supported by volunteers, relies heavily on donations from schools, businesses and residents of Brisbane.
Homeless Connect events provide the following free services to some of our most vulnerable residents:
- access to medical and allied health care professionals, including doctors, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists, audiologists and massage therapists
- haircuts by barbers and hairdressers
- support for housing, employment and community services
- immunisation services delivered by Council's immunisation team
- personal grooming items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant
- clothing, including shoes
- non-perishable food items
- breakfast, lunch and live entertainment.
The next event will be held on Thursday 16 May 2024 at Brisbane Showgrounds, Bowen Hills (corner of Alexandria Street and Gregory Terrace).
You can register your interest to volunteer by visiting the Volunteering Queensland website.
History of Homeless Connect
Council has held 28 Homeless Connect events since the first event in November 2006. The last event was held on Friday 3 November 2023.
A summary of the November 2023 event:
303 health consultations by medical and allied health care professionals
3474 visits to 58 service providers
22 pallets of food and toiletries
13 pallets of clothes
3 pallets of shoes
Homeless Connect videos
Watch interviews and testimonials from previous Homeless Connect events below. You can watch these videos and other videos on Council's YouTube channel.
For more information about Council initiatives that provide support for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, visit housing and homelessness.