My Resilient Schools program
Brisbane City Council and the Brisbane City State Emergency Service are working together to deliver the My Resilient Schools program, which offers free, two 40 minute sessions aimed at building resilience and disaster preparedness for grades five and six. The program will be delivered in terms two, three and four, in the lead up to storm season, and is designed to complement core curriculum studies on natural hazards. It will be delivered by trained SES volunteers and Council Officers.
What you need to know
The My Resilient Schools program was developed by Brisbane City Council with feedback from Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience, primary schools, SES members and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services to provide a standardised resource to the community.
My Resilient Schools:
- is run by Brisbane City Council
- is available to all primary schools within the Brisbane local government area
- is free of charge
- is delivered at your school on either a Monday or a Thursday
- runs for two 40 minute sessions
- is available for grades five and/or six
- complements the grade five and six Australian Curriculum for Geography, Science and Civics and Citizenship
- Students will learn about the natural hazards that may occur in their local area. The facilitators will help the students to develop strategies to prepare for and respond to these hazards.
How to register
Sessions run every week on Monday and Thursday during terms two, three and four.
You can register for your session online.