Our clean, green city - Youth Strategy 2014-2019
Young people have a lot to contribute towards a clean and green future for Brisbane as young environment and sustainability advocates leading environmental initiatives in their communities, volunteering for green events and making clean and green travel choices. Council wants all young people to experience Brisbane as a city where they contribute to sustainable water use, zero waste, sustainable energy use, clean air, green and bio-diverse ecosystems, local food production and a healthy Brisbane River and Moreton Bay.
Our clean, green city is one of eight themes in the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.
Some documents on this page need Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them.
Key facts and findings
The following trends and issues affect Brisbane young people:
- the environment is important to young people in Brisbane
- schools are nurturing sustainability concepts and many schools have excellent environmental programs
Our clean and green strategies for young people
As a Council, we want young people in Brisbane to:
- actively reduce their impact on the environment
- learn about sustainability at school, home and in their community
- create a clean and green future for Brisbane
To achieve these outcomes, our clean and green strategies for young people over the next five years include:
- deliver and support a range of initiatives to help young people reconnect with our environment and take action on sustainability issues
- work with schools to deliver quality education programs
- foster environmental stewardship by supporting and showcasing young leaders
Download the 'clean, green city' section of the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city to read more about:
- young person profile: Sheamus O'Connor, Mt Gravatt Environment Group
- key findings: trends and issues affecting young people in Brisbane
- Council's strategies - where we want to be and how we are going to get there
- ongoing Council programs
- extensions to Council programs
- new initiatives
If you would like to read about the other themes, download the full Youth Strategy 2014-2019 (PDF - 5Mb).