Our New World City - Youth Strategy 2014-2019
Young people have a lot to contribute to a future for Brisbane as a New World City - as engaged young citizens, bicultural young entrepreneurs and skilled, dynamic young leaders representing Brisbane regionally and internationally.
Our New World City is one of eight themes in the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.
Some documents on this page need Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them.
Key facts and findings
The following trends and issues affect Brisbane young people:
- young global citizens are engaged daily with personal and work networks across the world
- international students are coming to Brisbane in large numbers every year
- young people are passionate about sharing their cultures with Brisbane and the world
Our regional and world strategies for young people
As a Council, we want:
- Brisbane's young global citizens to represent Brisbane in regional, national and international forums and find their contributions valued by community, business and political leaders
- international students to stay associated with Brisbane and help position Brisbane as Australia's gateway to Asia
- young people from culturally diverse backgrounds settling in Brisbane to be recognised for their contributions to Brisbane as a New World City
To achieve these outcomes, our regional and world strategies for young people over the next five years include:
- engage young people as committed and passionate citizens in a lively democracy
- support groups of young people in Brisbane who are working on projects in other parts of the world
- build skills and connections among young civic, business, professional and community leaders that enhance relations with cities in the Asia-Pacific region
- support visiting international students and those settling as permanent residents, to access services and make ongoing connections with local communities
Download the 'New World City' section of the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city to read more about:
- young person profile: Han Huynh, Brisbane International Student Ambassador
- key findings: trends and issues affecting young people in Brisbane
- Council's strategies
- ongoing Council programs
- extensions to Council programs
- new initiatives
If you would like to read about the other themes, download the full Youth Strategy 2014-2019 (PDF - 5Mb).