Our smart, prosperous city - Youth Strategy 2014-2019
Young people have a lot to contribute towards a smart and prosperous Brisbane - as students, young workers and entrepreneurs, leaders and early adopters of new technology.
Our smart, prosperous city is one of eight themes in the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.
Some documents on this page need Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them.
Key facts and findings
The following trends and issues affect Brisbane young people:
- online social networking and smart phones are changing the way young people relate to one another, their communities and the city of Brisbane
- web users are personalising their experience and expect tailored content offerings
- unemployment continues to be higher for young people than any other age group
- Brisbane's smart young people are achieving national and international recognition
Our smart and prosperous strategies for young people
As a Council, we want young people in Brisbane to:
- have opportunities to gain the skills and experience they need to enter the workforce and build a career
- lead the way in innovative communication and enterprise and link our economy to new global markets
- offer fresh insight
- communicate with Council in a two-way conversation, when and how they choose
To achieve these outcomes, our smart and prosperous strategies for young people over the next five years include:
- provide work opportunities and career pathways
- support young entrepreneurs, leaders and visionaries
- engage technology-savvy young people
- create digital communication to reach, listen to, engage and influence
Download the 'smart, prosperous city' section of the Youth Strategy 2014-2019: Delivering a youth-friendly city to read more about:
- young person profile: Lillian Adele Shewring, MARACCAS
- key findings: trends and issues affecting young people in Brisbane
- Council's strategies - where we want to be and how we are going to get there
- ongoing Council programs and initiatives
- extensions to Council programs
- new initiatives
If you would like to read about the other themes, download the full Youth Strategy 2014-2019 (PDF - 5Mb).