Brisbane City Council regulates the keeping of cats under the Animals Local Law 2017.
When you need a permit
You will need a permit if you intend to keep more than three cats.
Council will not normally grant a cat permit under the following circumstances if:
- the animals live at a property that is not a single detached dwelling (i.e. you live in a unit or townhouse)
- the animals live at a property that is less than 400 square metres
- the keeper is not a breeder and the cats that make up the permit application have not been desexed
- the cats have not been microchipped
- you were not permitted to hold a similar cat permit from another local government
How to apply
Depending on your location and activity (e.g. a home based business or animal keeping), you may require development approval. If the keeping of animals is authorised under a development approval issued by Council, you will not require a permit under the Animals Local Law 2017.
You are encouraged to apply for a permit before you purchase or otherwise acquire more than three cats. You can submit an Animal Permit Application online if you require a permit .
Alternatively, complete the animal permit application (PDF - 65kb) form and lodge your application by:
- mailing the form and cheque payment to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane QLD 4001
- visiting Council.
The following fees are required when you lodge your application to Council:
- application fee - $286.70
- annual permit fee - $175.35
- application to amend condition(s) of permit by permit holder - $111.35.
The initial application fee includes the first year's permit fee. Council will refund the annual permit fee for unsuccessful applications.
If required, Council may contact you within 20 working days to arrange an inspection of your property to determine the suitability of approving the permit application.
Permit approvals are valid for 12 months. One month prior to the expiry of your permit, Council will send you a renewal notice via mail.
Amendment of permit condition(s)
A permit holder may request Council to amend the conditions of a permit. You can complete the Amendment of Permit Conditions online form if you wish to amend the condition(s) of your animal permit. Please be aware the application must be accompanied with the relevant fee.
To surrender your permit, complete the licence or permit surrender application online form.
For further information, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).