Understand your flood risk
Brisbane’s subtropical climate means our city experiences severe weather events. Because our city is built on a floodplain this can result in flooding from a variety of sources, particularly during the summer storm season from November through to March. However, it is important to note flooding can occur at any time of the year.
Minimising the impact of flooding is everyone’s responsibility.
Be prepared for flooding
Don't wait until it's too late. Council has a range of free tools and information to help residents understand their property's potential flood risk and how to be prepared.
Launch the Interactive Flood Awareness Maps
It is important to understand your flood risk so you can be prepared to reduce the impact of flooding on your home and or business.
You can use the interactive flood awareness maps to:
- Understand your areas of risk:
- Understand the sources of flooding:
- identify the sources of flooding that may affect your property
- Explore the history of river flooding in Brisbane:
- see how every flood is different
On 18 September 2015 Council updated the FloodWise Property Report and Creek/waterway Flood overlay map in Brisbane City Plan 2014 with new flood data for 12 creek catchments.
The Flood Awareness Maps will be updated with the new data once Council’s program of creek, overland flow and coastal studies, and the Brisbane River flood study (led by the Queensland Government), are complete.
The Flood Awareness Maps provide flood information for your local area, historic flooding and sources of flooding.
Conditions of use Flood Awareness Map
The interactive flood mapping tool is subject to the terms and conditions as detailed in the conditions of use below.
Watch a video to find out how to use Council’s online flood awareness maps and see whether your property is at risk of flooding. You can also learn about the sources of flooding that may affect your property.
Brisbane City Council has created simple guides to help you to prepare for flooding in Brisbane. Use these guides to help understand your property’s potential flood risk and to help minimise the impact of flooding on our homes, property and businesses.
You can access:
You can also download:
- Flooding in Brisbane - An explanation of technical flood terms (PDF - 1.6Mb)
- Flooding in Brisbane - An explanation of technical flood terms (Word - 53kb)
- Flooding fact sheet - An explanation of flood information tools and maps (PDF - 785kb)
- Flooding fact sheet - An explanation of flood information tools and maps (Word - 165kb)