Homeless Connect brings together business and community groups at a one day event to give free services to people experiencing homelessness or those at risk of homelessness. The project has helped more than 14,700 people since Brisbane City Council held the first Homeless Connect in Australia in November 2006. Similar events are now held in Perth, Hobart, Adelaide and on the Gold Coast.
Homeless Connect events provide the following:
- volunteer medical and allied health care professionals including doctors, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists and massage therapists
- housing support
- hair cuts by volunteer barbers and hairdressers
- immunisation delivered by Council's immunisation team
- personal grooming items such as towels and face washers, toothbrushes and toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant
- clothes for adults, children and babies, including shoes
18th Homeless Connect event
Council's 18th Homeless Connect event was held on Wednesday 18 May 2016.
|Guests||More than 680|
|Volunteers||More than 500|
|Health checks||More than 600 health checks by medical and allied health care professionals|
|Service providers||More than 2500 visits to 53 service providers|
|Donations||13 pallets of food and toiletries, 28 pallets of clothes and 9 pallets of shoes|
The next event will be held in May 2017. You can register your interest to volunteer for future events by visiting the Volunteering Queensland.website.
A donation drive will be held in April 2017.
Council cannot accept clothing donations for the Homeless Connect event. If you have clothing you wish to donate, please take it to your local charity shop.
Homeless Connect videos
Watch interviews and testimonials from previous Homeless Connect events.
You can also hear from the Lord Mayor Graham Quirk about his experience with Homeless Connect.
You can watch this video and other videos on Council's YouTube channel.