Camping on Roads
In Brisbane, it is illegal to camp overnight in a vehicle on a road or road related area (e.g. footpath, dividing strip or public cycle paths) unless it is in a designated signed area or tourist accommodation area.
Council may issue you with a fine if you camp in your vehicle overnight on a road or park in Brisbane.
Sleeping in a vehicle is not prohibited when:
- it is required for fatigue management
- it is required for personal safety
- otherwise in emergent circumstances.
For more information about where you can camp legally in Brisbane:
- visit the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing website
- talk to your camper van hire company
- contact local hostels, backpackers and holiday parks (some offer camper van rates).
Download the factsheet in English, French and German: