Development and other building complaints

Occasionally, development and other building activities cause an issue or disruption for neighbours and residents. Brisbane City Council are responsible for investigating a range of development and other building complaints. The Planning Act 2016 and Building Act 1975 regulates development and other building matters. For more information, refer to types of approval.

For complaints relating to noise coming from a building site, refer to Building work noise. 

With the exception of dwelling houses, for information regarding developments that are currently under construction, refer to Building and Construction Management Team

Carry out building work without the correct approvals

The correct development approvals are required to be gained before any works can start on a site. These include approvals for building works, operational works including earth works, and making a material change of use of a premises (i.e. starting a new use, re-establishing a use that has been abandoned or changing the intensity or scale of the use).

Non-compliance with approvals 

Where the correct approvals have been sought for development and building works, it is the responsibility of developers, builders and property owners to comply with conditions of those approvals. These approvals can either be issued by Council or private certifiers.

Other building complaints 

Council will also investigate other building related complaints. These include unsafe or dangerous buildings and boundary fences and non-compliant pool fencing.

How to lodge a complaint

Find out how to lodge a complaint about development and other building issues.

Last updated:

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.