Development and other buildings complaints - process

People are sometimes unaware that their building or development projects are causing an issue. Brisbane City Council encourages all residents and business operators to talk to their neighbours about the issue before making a complaint.

For developments, excluding dwelling houses, that are currently under construction refer to Building and Construction Management Team.  

Steps in the process

  1. Lodge a complaint relating to development and other building works by phoning Council on 07 3403 8888.
  2. Upon receiving a complaint, a Council officer will contact you discuss the issue, we will also contact the neighbour/property owner to advise a complaint has been received and provide education material/ relevant information to assist in resolving the matter voluntarily.
  3. If the neighbour/property owner takes no action and a second complaint is lodged the assigned Council officer will investigate the issue. If an offence has occurred, a notice may be issued to remedy the matter in a prescribed time period.
  4. If compliance has not been reached in the prescribed time period, a Council officer will conduct an onsite inspection, collect evidence, conduct interviews and pursue compliance outcomes.

Enforcement action may be required if compliance cannot be achieved. Enforcement action may also be taken even where compliance has been achieved. Enforcement action if necessary, may include:

  • issuing a prescribed infringement notice (PIN)
  • legislative notices and/or directions, such as oral directions, compliance notices, show cause notices or enforcement notices; or
  • referring the matter to Council’s solicitors for prosecution.

Reporting non-compliance of development and other building work 

If your complaint is handled by Council, you will need to provide:

  • your name, address, email address and phone number – this information is kept confidential
  • description of the issue – the date, time and source address.

You may also be asked to provide: 

  • evidence in the form of photographs, diary notes etc to substantiate the complaint
  • a witness statement and provide evidence if the matter is referred to a court.
Last updated: 12 November 2020

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.