Entertainment venues

Under the Entertainment Venues and Events Local Law 1999, certain types of venues require an Entertainment Venue Permit. Find out if a permit is required, and how to apply.

When you need a permit

A permit is required for any entertainment venue which is open to the public for entertainment whether or not a charge for admission is made. Venue types have been categorised based on risk. These include:

Entertainment venues - category A

Category A entertainment venues include:

  • amplified music concerts - venue for conducting concerts as a primary activity and inside a building
  • boxing or wrestling contest, display or exhibition
  • major sporting stadium (any amplified music concerts must apply for a permit as an entertainment event)
  • RNA showgrounds for any purpose (except any motor vehicle racing or amplified music concerts, which must apply for a permit as an entertainment event)
  • dog racing
  • horse racing, trotting and pacing
  • motor vehicle racing.

Entertainment venues - category B

Category B entertainment venues include:

  • amusement arcade
  • aquatic leisure park
  • basketball or netball (any number of courts)
  • billiard saloon
  • cinema
  • circus, including associated entertainments
  • commercial swimming pool or spa
  • drive-in theatre
  • entertainment hall (any entertainment hall operated by a religious or charitable organisation listed in the Appendix A of the Schedule of Fees and Charges shall pay a nil fee for permit renewal)
  • fleamarkets and markets
  • any form of entertainment by live artists not involving amplified music
  • golf links, driving ranges and practice centres
  • gymnasium or fitness centre
  • indoor cricket (any number of pitches)
  • indoor volleyball (any number of courts)
  • live music or entertainment involving application for a minor nature not being an amplified music concert
  • riding school
  • squash courts
  • tennis court (any number of courts)
  • ten-pin bowling centre
  • theatre and theatre restaurant
  • outdoor sport and recreation
  • zoological park
  • concert, lecture, public meeting
  • dance hall, ballroom dancing, display of dancing
  • enclosed premises (does not include squash, tennis, basketball, indoor cricket and indoor volleyball)
  • indoor bowling (not being a ten-pin bowling centre, skittles or bowling green)
  • mechanical structure for amusement or entertainment 
  • mini golf
  • night club (not holding a liquor licence covering the whole of the premises)
  • reception lounges (including premises for wedding receptions, birthdays and other parties)
  • skating rink (including ice skating).

Premises that are leased from Brisbane City Council and carry out one or more of the activities listed above may require an entertainment venue permit.

When no permit is needed

A permit is not required if there is a current liquor licence that covers the entire venue.

In the case of amusement arcades, a permit is not required where:

  • there are less than six electronic amusement machines on the premises
  • there are less than 10 electronic amusement machines on the premise comprising a broader recreational complex, for example cinema
  • there are more than 10 electronic amusement machines but the machines are scattered separately and independently throughout a centre or complex, for example 12 machines located independently throughout a centre or complex, for example 12 machines located independently throughout a multi-purpose centre.


Payment of entertainment venue fees is required upon lodgement of your application with Council.

How to apply

To apply for an Entertainment Venues Permit, follow the steps below:

1. Supporting documents

Prepare the supporting documents required for your application. To attach the supporting documents for your online application, you need to save them as Word, PDF or JPG files.

Required supporting documents include:

  • plans:
    • drawn to scale 1:100 or 1:200, with elevations and details not more than 1:50, maximum A3 and clearly legible
    • site plan showing location of site in relationship to surrounding land uses
    • floor plan showing all areas and location of all activities
  • for transfer of Entertainment Venue Permit:
    • evidence of ownership or occupation of the premises, e.g. title search, rate account, lease.

2. Application form

Complete the Entertainment Venues Permit Application form online, including:

  • uploading your supporting documents
  • paying the relevant fee.

Alternatively, you can complete the hard copy form.

Other approvals

You may need to consider the following approvals:

Inspection report

If you are planning to purchase an existing venue or need to demonstrate compliance for an insurance or bank application, you can request an inspection report outlining the current compliance status of the premises/activity.

Complete the Inspection Report Request online application and make payment with Visa or Mastercard.


To surrender an Entertainment Venue Permit, complete the Licence or Permit surrender application online form.

Proposed Events Local Law 2022 consultation

Council has by resolution proposed to make a local law entitled Events Local Law 2022 (the proposed local law). Council is now consulting with the public about the proposed local law . Find out more information.

More information

The Local Government Toolbox website provides helpful tools and resources.

For further information phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Last updated: 1 November 2022

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.