Permit for school fetes and events
A permit is required for fetes or other similar school-based fundraising events run by a public or private primary or secondary school or its P&C Association. School based events that meet the requirements can apply for a streamlined online permit.
When you need a permit
All fetes and other school-based events require a permit when more than 2,000 people are expected to attend over the duration of the event.
To be eligible for a streamlined school-based event permit, the event must:
- be conducted on school property
- be held between 7am and 10pm
- have no more than 10,000 attendees over the duration of the event
- not require road closure/s or major traffic interruptions
- not have any tent or marquee larger than 500m²
- not require temporary grandstands
- not include pyrotechnics (approved fireworks are permitted, but pyrotechnics which are light, sound or heat displays used in closer proximity to the audience than fireworks are not eligible for this permit).
School based events for more than 2000 attendees that do not meet these requirements for a self-assessable permit must apply for an Entertainment Event Permit.
When no permit is needed
A permit is not required for school-based events where a maximum of 2000 attendees are expected over the duration of the event.
An application fee of $84.90 applies to events eligible for the streamlined school-based process and is required when submitting your application.
For all other events not eligible for the streamlined process the application fee varies depending on the expected number of people attending the event.
How to apply
Complete the Application for a school based event permit. If your school-based event meets all the requirements, after you submit your application and pay the fee with a Mastercard or Visa, you will be provided with a permit to download.
Once you have your permit, you will need to obtain or develop the documents specified in the permit conditions before the event. You will need to keep the permit and these documents onsite and available for inspection by Council officers for the duration of the event.
For more information about a school-based event permit, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).