Related event approvals

In addition to the Entertainment Event Permit, you may need other approvals from Brisbane City Council and/or the Queensland Government for specific activities in relation to your event. Find out the approvals required for:

Food vendors

You  must ensure compliance with the Food Act 2006. One way to do this would be to ensure that all food businesses at the event have a current food business licence. You may be asked to provide to Council a list of all food vendors involved with your event.

Generally food businesses that involve the preparation of food do require a licence. You can find out the requirements for temporary food stalls and mobile food vehicles. There are some exemptions that apply for non-profit organisations.

Serving or selling alcohol

Selling or serving alcohol at your event, may need a liquor licence from Queensland Government. If your event involves consumption of alcohol you will need an Alcohol Management Plan and a Security Management Plan accompanying your application. 

Council endorsement is required for events held on Council property. Phone the Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) for more information on how to apply for an endorsement. 

Signage for events

For displaying community events signs, complete the self-assessment to ensure you comply with relevant requirements.

You can also find out the licence requirements for other types of signs for your event using the advertising signs tool.


Fireworks can only be bought, stored, transported and used by professionals licensed by Queensland Government. If you plan to have fireworks at your event, you will need to engage an appropriately licensed professional, and they will need to submit a Fireworks notification form to Queensland Government at least seven calendar days before the event.

You need to provide Council with a copy of the:

  • fireworks notification form submitted to Queensland government and
  • conditions attached to the fireworks approval.

You will need to notify the local fire station about the fireworks at least seven days before the event and ensure sub-contractors involved in the firework display have appropriate Public Liability Insurance.

Temporary road closure

If you want to close a lane, road or Brisbane City Council parking bay for your event, you can apply for approval as part of the Application for event approvals online form. Find out more about using or closing a road or footpath.

Traffic and Parking Management Plan

You are required to submit to Council a Traffic and Parking Management Plan for all entertainment event permit applications.

The plan must be:

The plan must include:

  • bus parking and servicing
  • adequate parking for patrons and staff
  • conditions associated with road closures
  • maps and/or diagrams of the event areas and sites
  • proposed signage, barricading and traffic control
  • plan showing what type of traffic devices will be used and in what positions
  • confirmation that traffic direction will only be conducted by police officers or accredited traffic control officers
  • details of what road closures are proposed and for what periods those roads will be closed
  • at least one diversionary route for traffic affected by each road closure
  • emergency vehicle accesses.

Noise Management plan

You are required to submit to Council a Noise Management Plan with your Entertainment Event Permit applications. For more information about requirements of the plan, visit Noise Management Plan.

Events in parks

To hold an event at a Council park, complete the Application for event approvals online form. Find out more about park bookings.

Last updated: 1 July 2022

Brisbane City Council acknowledges this Country and its Traditional Custodians. We pay our respects to the Elders, those who have passed into the dreaming; those here today; those of tomorrow.