Guidelines for hanging a bridge banner
Brisbane City Council allows large horizontal banners to be erected on several iconic Brisbane bridges and overpasses. Requirements will depend on where you are hanging your banner.
Applications can be made by a charitable or Not For Profit organisation, or a commercial entity, provided it meets the requirements of a major community event or campaign.
To be eligible, a not-for-profit organisation must either:
1. be listed as per Brisbane City Council's Schedule of Fees and Charges; or
2. have a principal objective consistent with the definitions of welfare or community, as defined in the Revenue Statement under Rebates and Concessions on Rates and Charges, in the Not-for-Profit (Welfare and Community) Organisations section.
Organisations not listed in Brisbane City Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges, but meet the criteria in the condition 1 above, can apply to receive the not-for-profit charge by:
- supplying a Registered Charity Certificate from the Queensland Government Office of Fair Trading as a Charitable Purpose (CH type), registration as a Community Purpose (CP type) is not sufficient; or,
- completing the application form when selecting ‘yes’ to be considered for reduced fees.
Banner applications must abide by the following conditions:
- all applications made apply to the current booking only and are subject to approval by Brisbane City Council.
- Council reserves the right to maintain their assets during a booking period and some dates may be blocked out due to scheduled maintenance
- a complete application, including design and layout specifications must be received at least two weeks prior to an approved permit date.
- banners must comply with Council’s design specifications as well as any location specific condition. Refer to individual site
- banners must be delivered to the Story Bridge depot at 234 Main Road Kangaroo Point, by 2.00pm on the Tuesday prior to the approved booking date
- a maximum of four banners per group is permitted
- approval period is a maximum of two consecutive weeks, per location and calendar year for the eligible organisation
- full payment is required two weeks prior to the approved booking date
- commercial advertising or sponsor’s logos are not permitted to be displayed on the banner, without prior Brisbane City Council approval
- banners are erected and removed on Mondays, subject to weather conditions. All banners must be collected within one week after the campaign period ends.
- approved banner hangings are sometimes promoted on Council’s Website and or social media pages. This could include an image of an approved banner hanging. By accepting the booking conditions, the applicant is also accepting consent for Council to photograph their banner. Council takes no responsibility for the loss of banners
- approved banner hangings are sometimes promoted on Council's website and or social media pages. This could include an image of an approved banner hanging. By accepting the boking conditions, the applicant is also accepting consent for Council to photograph their banner
- Council takes no responsibility for the loss of banners.
Design specifications for bridge banners
- The use of third-party logos or names must be approved prior to use. Third- party commercial names and logos will not be approved.
- Lettering on banners should have a min. height of 300 millimetres - Lettering less than 200 millimetres will not be approved.
- Eyelets are required to be placed at 1 metre intervals along the top and bottom of banner, for the ropes to be attached through.
- Ropes must be attached to banner and looped through and joined with a ‘ferrule’ at banner end.
- Rope length must be 1.2 metres long, loose end is to also have a ferule attached to stop fraying of the rope.
- Wind holes (vents) need to be spaced at approximately 3 metre intervals.
- Download banner specifications (Word 360.32Kb)
For more information
For more information or to tailor your needs regarding you banner request:
- phone 133 BNE (133 263)