Working in malls – building and scaffolding
If you are planning to do building work or erect scaffolding in any of the malls, you need to apply for a work zone permit application including erecting scaffolding and/or hoarding permit.
Applications are assessed within five working days and you must have approval before starting any work.
When you need a permit
A work zone permit application including erecting scaffolding and/or hoarding permit is required for the following activities in malls:
- building improvements to a shop front where work will extend into the mall
- any work that requires any part of the mall to be blocked.
- facade/awning repair
- maintenance/repair work
- shop fit out or de-fit
- signage install.
An application fee of $325.00 must be made when submitting the application.
If the application is successful, a permit fee of $26.90 will be charged for each square metre each week or part thereof.
For some types of work a security deposit of $966.20 for each square metre (granite or honed concrete) may be payable before work starts.
These fees do not attract GST.
How to apply
- Supporting documents:
Prepare the attachments required for your online application as Word, PDF or jpg files. Required attachments include:
- certificate of currency for public liability to the value of $20 million
- work method statement and/or work health safety plan, risk assessment
- photos of hoarding to be used
- work zone site plan
- copies of any approvals relating to the work (for example development approval, building approval, construction management plan conditions, advertising sign licence).
- Complete the online application form and:
- upload your supporting documents
- pay the application fee using a Visa or MasterCard.
If your application is approved you must:
- keep the area clean and tidy
- ensure your hoarding and scaffolding remains safe
- make sure neighbouring properties aren't affected by noise or dust
- pay for any damage you may have caused to the mall.
Refer to the online form for full details of standard terms and conditions.
If you paid a security deposit, when you have finished your building improvements you can email City Malls Management to request a refund.
For advice specific to your situation, phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).